AWS Architecture Icons
The MDG Technology for Amazon Web Services (AWS) Architecture provides all of the graphics (icons and images) required to model AWS architecture diagrams. The icons and images are provided by a Model Wizard framework pattern, which must be imported into your model before you can start creating AWS architecture diagrams. The Amazon/AWS Web Images pattern contains over 350 Image Assets that can be dragged-and-dropped onto diagrams.
Import the AWS Patterns
Before you import the 'Amazon/AWS Web Images' pattern into your model, click on the icon and select the 'Analysis > AWS Architecture' Perspective.
This automatically opens the Model Wizard on the 'Model Patterns' tab at the AWS Architecture Perspective page.
Click on the target Package in the Browser window, then on the 'Amazon/AWS Web Images' pattern and click on the .
Note: When you have the Web Images packet in your model, do not copy it to another location in the model or save it as XMI; always use the Model Wizard to import the pattern into a new model. The reason for this is that the provided Diagram Toolbox patterns, described here, refer to the Image Assets by their GUIDs. Copying the Image Assets will give them new GUIDs and the Diagram Toolbox patterns will not work.
In the Model Wizard there are three example patterns that show typical use of the images in diagrams, reproduced from the 'AWS Architecture Icons' Powerpoint. This example is the AWS Connected Vehicle Solution.
Create an AWS Diagram
You can create a diagram by right-clicking on its parent Package and selecting the 'Add Diagram' menu option to display the 'New Diagram' dialog.
If you do not have the AWS Architecture Perspective selected, click on the drop-down arrow in the Type field and select 'Analysis > AWS Architecture'.
In the 'Diagram' field type an appropriate name for the diagram, in the 'Select From' panel click on 'AWS', in the 'Diagram Types' panel click on 'AWS', and then click on the Diagram Toolbox open, including:. The AWS pages of the
- AWS Groups - This page provides a number of patterns that will create a Group with an icon (from an Image Asset) in the top left corner and the name left-justified at the top; the exceptions are Auto Scaling Group and Elastic Load Balancing, which have their icons centered at the top, and Generic Group and Highlight which don't have an icon
- AWS Illustrations - This page provides five illustrative patterns, containing images for Users, Notification, Devices, Desktop and Office building
- AWS General Resources - This page provides a number of patterns featuring general purpose images
Note that the AWS diagrams are automatically set to Custom Style, and when you right-click on an element in the diagram you can make use of the Custom Style icons on the Format Toolbar.
All the icons in the Diagram Toolbox generate Image Assets as listed in the _General Package of the AWS Model Wizard pattern. The other 22 Packages in the AWS Model Wizard pattern contain all the other images. Each Package has a diagram that shows every image that is included in the Package, and two sub-Packages 'Products' and 'Resources' containing Image Assets for the images. 'Product' images are white on dark gray, and 'Resource' images are dark gray on white.
To add one of these images to your diagram, locate it in the Browser window by either:
- Searching for it by name or
- Opening the diagram for the Package that you believe it should be in, finding it in the diagram and pressing to highlight the Image Asset in the Browser window
Now drag-and-drop the Image Asset onto your diagram. You can choose to:
- Add it as an element with an icon
- Add it as an element with an image, or
- (If you have made an element from the icon already) Add as link