Clone Diagram as New Version
There will be circumstances when a modeler needs to clone a diagram on an ad-hoc basis. Even when the modeler has used the 'Clone Package Structure' facility, a diagram might have subsequently been added to the original structure and this diagram can then be cloned separately to ensure the two versions of the Package structure are kept synchronized.
Creating a clone of your current model diagram is a simple migration process driven by version number. The diagram migration process builds a clone of your selected diagram and updates it with a user defined version number. All diagram elements contained on the clone diagram are migrated as linked elements to ensure their encapsulation is maintained with the 'As-Is' model.
As the new diagram version evolves, linked diagram elements can be selected and cloned into the new diagram's location as required. This ensures model assets continue to develop seamlessly between the 'As-Is' and 'To-Be' models without crossing over.
As you can have a sequence of cloned diagrams in separate Packages, it might not be apparent that a diagram is one of a line of clones. You can check whether a diagram has clones using the 'Show Diagram Versions' dialog.
Design > Diagram > Manage > Clone as New Version
Create new clone diagram
On the 'New version number' dialog, type in the version number for the ('To-Be') clone of the selected diagram, and click on the .
The 'Select Diagram destination' browser displays.
Browse for and select the destination ('To-Be') Package for the clone diagram, and click on the .
The diagram is cloned to the destination Package, and automatically opened in the Diagram View.
Select a diagram to clone.
Select the 'Design > Diagram > Manage > Clone as New Version' ribbon option.
Specify the version number and the target location for the clone diagram. Review the clone diagram when it is automatically opened.
Show Diagram Versions
When a diagram is cloned, a custom reference is added to the diagram (in the t_xref table). This custom reference provides information on the clone, through the 'Show Diagram Version' dialog.
To display this dialog, right-click on the diagram in the Browser window and select the 'Show Diagram Versions' option.
Where there is more than one clone in a sequence, the versions are listed with the most recent first and the original clone last.
You can open either the clone diagram (the source) or the diagram it was cloned from (the target) by clicking on theor .
You can also right-click on a diagram entry and select from there context menu options:
- Open Source Diagram - display the clone diagram in the Diagram View
- Open Target Diagram - display the cloned diagram in the Diagram View
- Find Source Diagram - highlight the clone diagram in the Browser window
- Find Target Diagram - highlight the cloned diagram in the Browser window
- Clone diagrams will be updated with the newly entered version number
- Browser window elements in the new structure are linked elements from the 'As-Is' Package source and retain their 'As-Is' version status
- Note, Text and Boundary elements are cloned into the new version with the diagram
- Object and Sequence elements are copied into the new version, with the new version number, and with Trace connectors to the original version elements
- You can either select an existing Package or create a new destination Package in the 'Select Diagram destination' dialog