Sparx Systems Forum

Enterprise Architect => Automation Interface, Add-Ins and Tools => Topic started by: just4lists on March 25, 2007, 11:59:34 pm

Title: MDG Link for DOORS - do I need to have DOORS?
Post by: just4lists on March 25, 2007, 11:59:34 pm
I intended to use the MDG Link for DOORS to import requirements from a DOORS file.
Do I need to have DOORS installed for that?
Title: Re: MDG Link for DOORS - do I need to have DOORS?
Post by: Aaron B on March 26, 2007, 03:06:41 pm
Yes, MDG Link for DOORS needs to connect to a running instance of the DOORS application to import an open module.  It does not import directly from the file itself.

See the product page for system requirements:
http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/products/mdg_doors.html

Please refer to the help file included with the Add-In for more details on importing from DOORS.
Title: Re: MDG Link for DOORS - do I need to have DOORS?
Post by: just4lists on March 26, 2007, 11:04:44 pm
So what's the point? I wanted to use EA to avoid buying an expensive DOORS license... So instead of DOORS, this way, I need to buy EA, MDG Link for DOORS and DOORS... _:(
Title: Re: MDG Link for DOORS - do I need to have DOORS?
Post by: mikewhit on March 26, 2007, 11:45:46 pm
I can see where the confusion arises - the spec for MDG link for Doors states, "Direct import of DOORS® modules into EA" which might imply that Doors itself was not needed for importing.

Rather misleading - should say "Indirect import (via Doors)" ?!
Title: Re: MDG Link for DOORS - do I need to have DOORS?
Post by: just4lists on March 26, 2007, 11:56:52 pm
Quote
I can see where the confusion arises - the spec for MDG link for Doors states, "Direct import of DOORS® modules into EA" which might imply that Doors itself was not needed for importing." ?!


Correct. For now, I intented to buy 20 licenses of the MDG Link for DOORS... if I also need DOORS... It would be better to have only DOORS... _:(

Anyone knows if it's possible to import from DOORS without DOORS? _:)
Title: Re: MDG Link for DOORS - do I need to have DOORS?
Post by: thomaskilian on March 27, 2007, 12:00:12 am
Do you need to do that only once? If so, it should be possible to get a trial license. Else :-X
Title: Re: MDG Link for DOORS - do I need to have DOORS?
Post by: «Midnight» on March 27, 2007, 01:11:24 am
But where does the instance of DOORS need to reside? Could it be a single instance that is served to the 20 EA instances?
Title: Re: MDG Link for DOORS - do I need to have DOORS?
Post by: mikewhit on March 27, 2007, 04:00:09 am
You could always do a CSV export from Doors in the first place ...