Sparx Systems Forum

Enterprise Architect => General Board => Topic started by: jmacki on April 22, 2004, 09:36:42 am

Title: EA freezes when trying to open class properties
Post by: jmacki on April 22, 2004, 09:36:42 am
Hello,

When I try to open the properties of a class the application freezes and I have to use task manager to shut the application down.

The application worked fine before, but this error now occurs every time I try to open the properties of a class.

Is this a known issue? Is there some kind of workaround?

I'm using version 4.00.724 for Windows.

Thanks,
Jason
Title: Re: EA freezes when trying to open class properties
Post by: sfreitag on May 28, 2020, 08:11:04 pm
Hello,

I currently have a similar problem with my EA Pro version 13. When editing different diagrams, the EA freezes and can no longer be operated. The program can only be ended via the Task Manager. The behavior occurs reliably when elements are added from the toolbox, when the class properties are opened or when only one element is moved in the diagram. An analysis with the Procmon only shows that the eap-file is only cyclically read.
The software is installed on a Windows 10 Pro 1909.

Does anyone have a similar problem or know a solution?

Thanks,
Stefan
Title: Re: EA freezes when trying to open class properties
Post by: qwerty on May 28, 2020, 08:21:54 pm
Try running a consistency check.

q.
Title: Re: EA freezes when trying to open class properties
Post by: Uffe on May 28, 2020, 08:40:53 pm
Hi Stefan,


I'm aware of one issue that sounds similar in 15.0.

If an element's name ends with a non-breaking space, EA can't render it in a diagram and will freeze when you try.

The freeze will occur if:
Non-breaking spaces can sneak into element names if you copy text from other tools, especially web browsers. EA accepts them in element names (and shows them as regular whitespaces), but if they're at the end of the name, the diagram renderer hangs. (It's fine if they're in the start or middle of the name.)

I sent a bug report, but they wanted screenshots. Of whitespaces in dialog text fields and a hung EA. Go figure.

HTH,


/Uffe
Title: Re: EA freezes when trying to open class properties
Post by: sfreitag on May 28, 2020, 08:42:52 pm
Thanks for the answer.

The consistency check reported no errors. The problem occurs with existing and also with completely new project files.
Title: Re: EA freezes when trying to open class properties
Post by: qwerty on May 28, 2020, 09:25:39 pm
How about add-ins? If any, turn them off and see when the issue vanishes.

q.
Title: Re: EA freezes when trying to open class properties
Post by: sfreitag on May 30, 2020, 09:10:37 pm
Thank you for the support.

I can't explain it exactly, but the problem is solved. After I noticed that it works under another user, I deleted the user settings in the registry (HKCU:\Software\Sparx Systems). Subsequently, the EA worked again without any errors.