Sparx Systems Forum
Enterprise Architect => General Board => Topic started by: AlanSemple on July 09, 2004, 01:54:46 am
-
We obtained EA v3.0 a couple of years ago, via a firm of Consultants, who did some work on 'Conformed Dimensions' in Our Data Warehouse. I have recently been exploring EA as a tool for Data Modelling and reverse engineering existing System Structures. (I'm getting to the point - slowly) ;-)
I want to upgrade to the latest version of EA, and want to know what I need to do to upgrade the v3.0 models we hold, into v4.2 - when we eventually purchase it.....
Regards,
Alan
-
The simplest approach would be to get an evaluation copy (free download), copy your database to a save location and see what EA will be doing. I suppose it will tell you that it has to upgrade, make a backup and creating a new working copy.
-
We also started using EA some two-and-a-half years ago. We have progressively updated the version of EA from 3.0, to 3.5 to 4.0 and now to 4.1. During this time the EA repository has always remained as Access 2000 or SQL Server 2000 for each project that we have and we have not had to do anything manually apart from making back-ups of the projects. EA automatically updates a project created with an earlier version of its database schema and creates a new repository and at the same time creates a back-up of the earlier version.
We have not gone straight from 3.0 to 4.1, but I do not believe that should be a problem.
Hope this helps.
-
Hi Alan,
You should have no worries updating your model. If you backup the v3.0 model then open it in v4.1 it will automatically update. If you have any trouble with the upgrade, it send us your model and we can take a look at it.
Tom O'Reilly
Sparx systems
[email protected]
-
Thanks everyone for your help.
I've 'set the wheels in motion' within our organisation to obtain an evaluation copy of v4.1.