Sparx Systems Forum

Enterprise Architect => General Board => Topic started by: marcinb on October 18, 2007, 12:24:52 am

Title: Storing files in sql repository
Post by: marcinb on October 18, 2007, 12:24:52 am
Hi!

I'm trying to store MS Word file in sql repositry and It looks like EA can't do this. Am I right? The strange thing is that I can store jpg file by pasting it from clipboard on diagram, so  EA supports binary data inside models. I don't want to store only filepaths.

Thanks,
Marcin
Title: Re: Storing files in sql repository
Post by: dbax on October 18, 2007, 12:13:50 pm
Well, there is a trick to it. The way i did that is I've created a package called "External Project Documents" (very intuitive I know) and within that package I had a package diagram on which I dragged few elements with "artifact" stereotype. Then I opened a blank document by double-clicking on the document object on the diagram and basically copy-pasted my document contents. This allowed me to preserve any formatting I had in the original document and to store it on the repository server itself. From there I can then link this object to other artifacts within the project models and voila - I have my traceability!
I know there should be an easier method to add files (like drag/drop kind) to our project folders but for now I am using this way.
I hope this helps. Regards,

D
Title: Re: Storing files in sql repository
Post by: marcinb on October 18, 2007, 10:47:05 pm
Thank you very much. I tried to avoid copying and pasting document's content for obvious reasons but It looks there is no better way.

Have a nice weekend

M.