Sparx Systems Forum

Enterprise Architect => General Board => Topic started by: thomaskilian on January 30, 2008, 01:11:45 am

Title: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: thomaskilian on January 30, 2008, 01:11:45 am
Hi,
just started with playing around. My first observation went to the Suggestions board. Here another one: There is a new pane Favourites which looks nice. However there seems to be a handling problem. You can drag folders from the Project View onto these favourites. But both are in the same tabbed pane after installation. In order to make use of the feature you have to unclutter them into two separate panes. (Or there is a secret trick in handling the new Favourites.)
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: thomaskilian on January 30, 2008, 04:10:50 am
I like the highlighting of the target element when creating new connectors.
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: «Midnight» on January 30, 2008, 04:14:47 am
Interesting Thomas,

I noticed this the Model Views being docked with the Project Browser a while ago in some screen prints, but failed to make the connection.

David

[EDIT: "this" meant the model views problem. I like the highlighting too.]
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: JohnDoe on January 30, 2008, 04:18:29 am
Hi,

just played around with tzhe new Model Views. It is nice to create a hierarchie of "Element Search Views" instead of creating them over and over again.

It is a lot easier to have an overview of all open issues, unclear requirements etc.

I only miss the RISK elements in the search options there. It seems like SparxSystems has coded risks with a different philosophy. I would like to view/trace risks as well.

Nice work.

Regards
Bernd
Title: Error in 7.1 beta
Post by: JohnDoe on January 30, 2008, 04:38:23 am
Hello,

if you create a BPMN diagram and put an activity element on it and choose (rightClick->Advanced->MakeComposite), there is no composite sign at this activity, though a subdiagram was created !!

This bug only comes up with Activity elements. All other elements seem to be ok, when being made composite (this composite sign shows up with all elements, but not activities).

By the way: Tools->Options->Objects->Support for Composite Objects is switched to on (All elements show these little composite glasses, except Activity elements).

Regards
Bernd

(http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7853/makecompositeym4.jpg)
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: «Midnight» on January 30, 2008, 04:54:45 am
Bernd,

Have you reported this to Sparx? There used to be a special link for beta bug reports, but I guess you should just use the registered user bug report page for this one.

David
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: JohnDoe on January 30, 2008, 05:14:29 am
just sent it.

Regards
Bernd
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: Jan ´Bary´ Glas on January 30, 2008, 05:20:10 am
Another one I love :-) The full screen.
I often need to show live diagrams in public.  I've already assigned this function to keyboard shortcut. Thanks Sparxians.
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: gpc on January 30, 2008, 05:21:51 am
Been waiting for a long while for this one. So far I like quite a lot of the new features and it fixes a number of the bugs that I raised. However, I have noticed a few new bugs already and wonder if there is a means of reporting bugs for the beta - after all isn't that the point of a beta?
I'm not knocking Sparx, I just want to help improve the product :) !
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: Jan ´Bary´ Glas on January 30, 2008, 05:38:09 am
I asked for a Beta bug report page few minutes ago. I hope It will be ready soon. Though we should keep information what was posted. Let's do it in Suggestions section.
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: «Midnight» on January 30, 2008, 05:42:30 am
Quote
Been waiting for a long while for this one. So far I like quite a lot of the new features and it fixes a number of the bugs that I raised. However, I have noticed a few new bugs already and wonder if there is a means of reporting bugs for the beta - after all isn't that the point of a beta?
I'm not knocking Sparx, I just want to help improve the product :) !

In the meantime I suggest using the Registered Users bug report page.
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: JohnDoe on January 30, 2008, 06:52:05 am
Stop.

I also discovered this misbehaviour with MindMapping Elements. If you draw a mindmapping diagram, you can choose "make composite" and you create subdiagrams, but the icon is not displayed correctly.

So, it is not only a topic of Activities any more.

Regards
Bernd
Title: Can't render formatted notes
Post by: Paolo F Cantoni on January 30, 2008, 08:46:25 pm
The Render formatted notes check box on Show feature visibility [CTRL+SHIFT+Y} does not stick.  So the formatting doesn't show on screen.   Also, the Formatting control is NOT on the Annotations control of the XSD dialog.

Paolo
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: KP on January 30, 2008, 09:19:33 pm
Quote
I asked for a Beta bug report page few minutes ago. I hope It will be ready soon. Though we should keep information what was posted. Let's do it in Suggestions section.


Beta bug report page has now been added, here: http://www.sparxsystems.com/registered/reg_bug_report_beta.html

HTH,

Neil
Title: Formatted Text for some identifiers
Post by: Paolo F Cantoni on January 30, 2008, 11:34:06 pm
Some identifiers - such as the names of requirements and responsibilities can be very long.  They should probably also have formatted text abilities.

Paolo
Title: Render formatted notes - global options
Post by: Paolo F Cantoni on January 30, 2008, 11:37:06 pm
[  ] Render formatted notes should also be a diagram option and a system option.

Paolo
Title: Re: Formatted Text for some identifiers
Post by: Jan ´Bary´ Glas on January 30, 2008, 11:58:15 pm
Quote
Some identifiers - such as the names of requirements and responsibilities can be very long.  They should probably also have formatted text abilities.

Paolo

Yes. I've just found out. I agree.
Title: Re: Render formatted notes - global options
Post by: «Midnight» on January 31, 2008, 04:19:54 am
Quote
[  ] Render formatted notes should also be a diagram option and a system option.

Paolo

Absolutely!

There is simply no future in asking us to turn this on for everything!

The system level is vital of course. But I agree that diagram-level needs to be there too. Even if you only want to do this on a single diagram, setting it on a busy diagram would be impractical now. If the diagram were under development things would go down the drain fast.

Of course the diagram setting would take precedence over the system setting, and the element setting would override all.

David
Title: Re: Can't render formatted notes
Post by: Paolo F Cantoni on February 03, 2008, 08:03:53 pm
Quote
The Render formatted notes check box on Show feature visibility [CTRL+SHIFT+Y} does not stick.  So the formatting doesn't show on screen.
Figured it out - a prime example of [size=16]EAUI[/size][/b]!

The [  ] Render Formatted Notes checkbox in the Feature Visibility dialog is a separate checkbox from the [  ] Notes checkbox and enabled - which under normal UI design rules implies it is independent.

I have <Diagram Context Menu>|Properties...|Elements|Show Compartments|[  ] Notes checked - which (you'd think) might imply that if I do a <Element Context Menu>|Set Feature Visibility  [CTRL+Sift+Y] and open the Feature Visibility dialog, the [  ] Notes checkbox would be marked - but that's another EAUI story...

The [  ] Notes checkbox is not marked and attempting to mark the [  ] Render Formatted Notes checkbox will not "stick"!

However, if the  [  ] Notes checkbox IS marked, then marking the [  ] Render Formatted Notes checkbox will "stick" and the Notes compartment will be rendered appropriately!

Interestingly (and further EAUI!), if you subsequently unmark the [  ] Notes checkbox, then [  ] Render Formatted Notes checkbox is disabled - indicating that it is NOT independent!

Can anyone suggest a rationale for this EAUI behaviour?  <- Rhetorical question, !

Consistency, Consistency, Consistency! TM

My related points about these options being more Global is EVEN MORE pertinent in the light of this observed behaviour!

"Gob-smacked"
Paolo
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: philchudley on February 08, 2008, 02:39:37 am
Not so much a fault, more like a request. In the new RTF enabled notes feature, if a numbered list is used, then it cannot be interrupted with non-numbered lines and then the list continued. For example, here is a simple Use Case scenario using the numbered list. This scenario (copied from EA 7.1) indicates where alternate paths may exist:

1)The use case begins when the Customer adds an item to the cart
2)[ALTERNATE] Create Cart
3)[DATA] productCode
4)[DATA] quanity
5)System creates an Item using the product code and quantity
6)System checks the quanity on hand using the product code and quantity
7)System adds the item to the cart
8)[ALTERNATE] Insufficient stock
9)Use Case ends

If I remove the line numbering from the lines with [ALTERNATE] and [DATA], the result is

1)The use case begins when the Customer adds an item to the cart
[ALTERNATE] Create Cart
[DATA] productCode
[DATA] quanity
1)System creates an Item using the product code and quantity
2)System checks the quanity on hand using the product code and quantity
3)System adds the item to the cart
[ALTERNATE] Insufficient stock
1)Use Case ends

What I would like to happen is:

1)The use case begins when the Customer adds an item to the cart
[ALTERNATE] Create Cart
[DATA] productCode
[DATA] quanity
2)System creates an Item using the product code and quantity
3)System checks the quanity on hand using the product code and quantity
4)System adds the item to the cart
[ALTERNATE] Insufficient stock
5)Use Case ends

That is "Continue Numbering"
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: «Midnight» on February 08, 2008, 04:12:31 am
Thanks Phil,

But in future, please try to post to a single thread. In a case like this, at least let us know that the 'feedback' post is a duplicate.

This will help us coordinate discussion. Things having to do with your specific problem should go to the thread you've dedicated to that issue.

David
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: Thelonius on February 10, 2008, 08:12:17 pm
Quote
Beta bug report page has now been added, here: http://www.sparxsystems.com/registered/reg_bug_report_beta.html


May be a good idea to expose this url on the main registered users page: http://www.sparxsystems.com/registered/index.html

I can't see it there - unless my eyes are getting worse ...

Thanks

Jon
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: thomaskilian on February 11, 2008, 01:32:27 am
I simply added a temporarily bookmark in my browser.
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: «Midnight» on February 11, 2008, 05:13:00 am
Jon,

The link is specifically for bugs in the beta. Since not everyone will download the beta, and bug reports for the core product still need to be correctly routed, the links are different. To avoid confusion Sparx has placed each link on its appropriate page.

In either case - registered user downloads or beta downloads - you have to know where the page is to get the product in the first place, the bug report links are easy to find since they can be located while navigating to the download page for that product.

David
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: Ronaldo Juliatto on February 15, 2008, 03:13:28 am
Hi, people

I have not tested EA 7.1 much. However, I have a question regarding to the text formatting in notes: how will the users of earlier versions see the formatted notes in a repository edited by EA 7.1? If a user of an earlier EA version edits the notes, will the formatting be lost?

I ask this because our environment uses different versions and we always have this kind of problem.

Thanks a lot

Ronaldo
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: thomaskilian on February 15, 2008, 03:18:30 am
Good question with two possible answers:
a) it's not backward compatible
b) (more likely) they will see unformatted HTML tags.

You could try out. Create a model with 7.1 and open it with 7.0 (e.g. the viewer). Probably Sparx should look at this if a) is not obligatory.
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: Jan ´Bary´ Glas on February 15, 2008, 05:31:29 am
Quote
b) (more likely) they will see unformatted HTML tags.

This one is correct. I can see it, because I have both versions installed, you may find it helpfull as well.

1.Copy your EA program files in another place e.g. /EA7_0
2.Make a shortcut for this version
3.Instal new build in your usual place (pick uninstal, it is ok)
4.use either version

IMPORTANT: this is probaly not supported behavior ;-)
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: Oliver F. on February 20, 2008, 09:25:53 pm
See my post at
http://www.sparxsystems.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1203500120

I am unable to drag or drop elements from the project browser to a diagram which worked a few days ago.
No issue with 818 though.

Oliver

Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: thomaskilian on February 20, 2008, 11:48:59 pm
Had the same issue (reported) but wasn't reproducible.
Title: Re: 7.1 beta feedback
Post by: Oliver F. on February 21, 2008, 02:00:22 am
Quote
Had the same issue (reported) but wasn't reproducible.

Here it was reproducible in a way that even after several removal and reinstall sessions it still was present *sigh*

Oliver