Sparx Systems Forum

Enterprise Architect => General Board => Topic started by: Edward Stow on May 22, 2009, 12:46:32 pm

Title: Import SQL Schema
Post by: Edward Stow on May 22, 2009, 12:46:32 pm
Hi,

I would like to import a schema defined using SQL DDL.

Is this possible?

Using EA Professional
--
Edward
Title: Re: Import SQL Schema
Post by: hd on May 22, 2009, 02:35:40 pm
If you mean importing from a DDL script file - no that is not possible.

However, you can import database schemas through ODBC - refer...
http://www.sparxsystems.com/uml_tool_guide/data_modeling/importdatabaseschemafromod.html

Title: Re: Import SQL Schema
Post by: Edward Stow on May 22, 2009, 02:59:11 pm

Quote
If you mean importing from a DDL script file - no that is not possible.

Yes thats what I meant ... pity .. I am working from some legacy application source code that needs re-engineering, but however it is not an installed system.

Title: Re: Import SQL Schema
Post by: salayande on May 23, 2009, 09:26:53 pm
Surely if EA can read and parse XML Schema files and create a physical design model, I cannot see why it should not be able to read DDL scripts and create relational design models.

Sparxsystems should consider this query as a product improvement opportunity.


Segun
Title: Re: Import SQL Schema
Post by: Edward Stow on May 24, 2009, 08:02:07 pm
I can see it would not be that easy to import from a variety of SQL Dialects (compare MySQL with Oracle for example) but it would be a nice feature.
--
Edward