Sparx Systems Forum

Enterprise Architect => General Board => Topic started by: Stolperwurm on December 23, 2010, 12:20:25 am

Title: Local Path for hyperlinked files
Post by: Stolperwurm on December 23, 2010, 12:20:25 am
Hi all,

in my EA diagrams I have some hyperlinks to Excel files which are under version control. For me they appear in a path "I:\project\..." but for other users the drive letter might be different, for example "X".
How can I set the properties of the hyperlink to enable each user to open the Excel files correctly? I tried already to set the path without the drive letter and put the local eap files in the folder "<drive>:\" but didn't succeed.

Can anybody help me?

I work with EA 8.0, Win XP SP3, ClearCase 7.0

BRs




Title: Re: Local Path for hyperlinked files
Post by: skiwi on December 23, 2010, 11:40:24 am
Perhaps using the Universal Naming COnvention (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_(computing)#Uniform_Naming_Convention).
Title: Re: Local Path for hyperlinked files
Post by: Stolperwurm on December 23, 2010, 05:46:51 pm
Good morning skiwi,

thank you for your quick answer. Maybe UNC is a good idea. I followed the link you posted and found

Quote
\\ComputerName\SharedFolder\Resource
Unfortunately ComputerName must be common to all users (I suppose) and and thus we need a kind of convention. But this is what I would like to avoid.

I tried already the "Local Path" capability of EA without having succeeded and I experimented with environment variables but didn't find any way to tell a hyperlink to use it.

BRs
/me
Title: Re: Local Path for hyperlinked files
Post by: skiwi on December 24, 2010, 06:23:26 am
I don't know what sort of network you are on,
but generally, by definition, Computer name is the same for all users on the network.