Sparx Systems Forum

Enterprise Architect => General Board => Topic started by: William Kramer on October 15, 2014, 02:12:03 am

Title: Running EA on a Mac
Post by: William Kramer on October 15, 2014, 02:12:03 am
Am considering VMWare or Parallels for running Enterprise Architect on a Macbook Pro.  Would greatly appreciate learning from the experience others have had doing this.
Title: Re: Running EA on a Mac
Post by: qwerty on October 15, 2014, 04:10:18 am
I used Parallels for the last 10 years and was always happy. The latest versions however got scrambled with useless scrap and someone else recommended VMWare out of that reason (he was happy with the switch).  So all I can tell: still on Parallels and got it working the way I want but VMWare seems to have taken over.

q.
Title: Re: Running EA on a Mac
Post by: smendonc on October 15, 2014, 07:50:11 am
I can second what qwerty has said.  I've used Parallels on an a Mac for about 5 years and have never had any issues.

Stan.
Title: Re: Running EA on a Mac
Post by: William Kramer on October 16, 2014, 01:01:35 am
Thanks!  Will have a go with Parallels.
Title: Re: Running EA on a Mac
Post by: qwerty on October 16, 2014, 02:48:12 am
The latest version has a (really useless) duplicate icon in the task bar (CMD-Tab). If you need to get rid of that just raise your hand.

q.
Title: Re: Running EA on a Mac
Post by: joeT on October 19, 2014, 02:16:35 pm
It is also possible to run EA on a Mac using Wine using a Wineskin.

I have posted a link to some instructions below:

http://kingoffools.net/wordpress/?p=175

JoeT
Title: Re: Running EA on a Mac
Post by: qwerty on October 19, 2014, 08:59:26 pm
The pictures in your blog refer to local IPs (196.168.100.2).

q.
Title: Re: Running EA on a Mac
Post by: joeT on October 20, 2014, 09:11:46 pm
Thanks qwerty.

Should be fixed now (the images are low res but they should convey the ides)

JoeT
Title: Re: Running EA on a Mac
Post by: qwerty on October 21, 2014, 12:05:34 am
YEs. Works now. I also had Wine once running. But since I own a Parallels license I still use that.

q.
Title: Re: Running EA on a Mac
Post by: Screwtape on October 23, 2014, 01:20:36 am
I'm currently using EA on a mac using Crossover. This was under £30 for a licence and the installation is easier than using wine directly. It mostly works pretty well, and doesn't require a windows license like Parallels.

The issues I've had is that with it so far are
a) the RFT template editor crashes. (you can use the generator, just don't edit the template)
b) the scenarios screen doesn't refresh the screen properly while you're editing a field, but does once you leave it. (Irritating but not a showstopper.)

I'm doing EA document generation and scripting on a windows PC, but day to day modelling seems to work fine on the mac with crossover.
Title: Re: Running EA on a Mac
Post by: Stefan Bolleininger on October 23, 2014, 05:48:11 pm
Hi,

on Crossover I experienced some issues during use of a SQL-Repository and some erros in formattings and the function BaselineCompare.

In WirtualBox however, it worked very well.

Regards

Stefan
Title: Re: Running EA on a Mac
Post by: qwerty on October 23, 2014, 11:50:25 pm
Quote
WirtualBox
Na dann Prost ;D

q.
Title: Re: Running EA on a Mac
Post by: dimi on October 24, 2014, 06:40:51 am
I haven't had the best of luck with Crossover, very slow performance, very flimsy. Lots of crashes with OSX 10.9.x
I am very surprised that EA recommend this route. I would love a native client.
VMWare Fusion seems to work just fine, however the upgrade policy of VMWare is horrid, forcing users to pay for every major version bump (without offering any real tangible benefits besides new OS support).

Best regards
dimi
Quote
Hi,

on Crossover I experienced some issues during use of a SQL-Repository and some erros in formattings and the function BaselineCompare.

In WirtualBox however, it worked very well.

Regards

Stefan
Title: Re: Running EA on a Mac
Post by: qwerty on October 24, 2014, 08:26:13 am
Parallels isn't much better with regards to upgrade. But I think that's quite ok since somehow those companies want to live on. I mean, for EA I have to pay a yearly license fee which is about the purchase price. In the end it's the same policy. (The latest Parallels upgrade was not one I liked much but using Mac OS X you sometimes get forced to also upgrade tangible software with a new OS version.)

q.