Sparx Systems Forum

Enterprise Architect => General Board => Topic started by: Donster on November 26, 2014, 09:00:54 am

Title: How EA works with version control and a database
Post by: Donster on November 26, 2014, 09:00:54 am
Hi there,

I want to make sure that I understand how EA works with a version control tool (e.g. TFS) and a database (e.g. MS SQL).

When a package is controlled by TFS and checked out, the act of checking out takes the .xml information and saves it to the SQL database so that edits are possible.

Once the edits are complete, checking in then takes the database information and writes out the XML?

I looked through the help and couldn't find an explanation.

I thought that checking the files out marked the .xml files in read only then writes them out.

In investigating some data concurrency issues, it makes sense that it would import the database information from the .xml and then write it out again.

If anyone is able to confirm or correct the information here, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!
Don
Title: Re: How EA works with version control and a databa
Post by: qwerty on November 26, 2014, 10:47:12 am
A checkout will call the VC to set a lock for the user. When successful it deletes the entire package in the repository and imports the XMI from the VC.  A check in will save the package to XMI, pass it to the VC to check it in and then release the lock.

q.