Sparx Systems Forum

Enterprise Architect => Suggestions and Requests => Topic started by: andymc73 on February 18, 2007, 04:15:55 pm

Title: Suggestion: bulk change filename for code gen
Post by: andymc73 on February 18, 2007, 04:15:55 pm
Hi all,

I often need to generate IDL code (using the MDG Corba plugin).

When using the Auto Generate files checkbox, each and every class, interface and enumeration in a package goes into its own IDL file, even though they all share the same Corba module in the generated code. However I would like to send all generated IDL for a package into a single .idl file.

My existing workaround:
If I don't check "Auto Generate", I am prompted one at a time, for every one of these elements for a target file, at which point I can select the same filename and end up with all elements in the one file.  
However this is very laborious when there are a lot of elements, and a royal ??? :-( if I want to change a filename.

Given the dialog box appears to be common for all languages I would assume the problem exists for C++ although often good coding practice would suggest that generally there would be a separate H file per class.

I note that when generating SQL DDL, however, I have the option to send all tables to one file.

I would like to see the ability to optionally (not by default) see all generated code go to the same file, without having to manually set the file one at a time after resetting code generation settings for the package.
(The equivalent setting for DDL generation is the radio button "Single File")

--Andrew
Title: Re: Suggestion: bulk change filename for code gen
Post by: andymc73 on May 09, 2007, 05:37:56 pm
Does anyone have an opinion on this or is it just me? ??? :-[
Title: Re: Suggestion: bulk change filename for code gen
Post by: jeshaw2 on May 12, 2007, 12:35:58 pm
Quote
Does anyone have an opinion on this or is it just me? ??? :-[

I think the answer is No.

Since I don't use Corba, I don't have an opinion, and assuming your request is consistent with good software development, I think the request is reasonable; therefor, I don't think it is just you.

Sorry I could not help with your initial question.
Title: Re: Suggestion: bulk change filename for code gen
Post by: Paolo F Cantoni on May 12, 2007, 01:36:15 pm
I'm with Jim...

Although we do use IDL, the current functionality is OK with us.  But that's not the point.  If the language allows it, then EA should support it.

I definitely have multiple C# classes in a single file.

Paolo
Title: Re: Suggestion: bulk change filename for code gen
Post by: «Midnight» on May 12, 2007, 02:28:27 pm
Same thoughts here. I don't use IDL, although some associates along the way have. Regardless of target, it would be nice to have the option of consolidating generation if the platform supports it.

David
Title: Re: Suggestion: bulk change filename for code gen
Post by: andymc73 on May 14, 2007, 02:54:08 pm
Thanks all,

Ill raise a bug with registered support.


--Andrew