Sparx Systems Forum
Enterprise Architect => General Board => Topic started by: PeterHeintz on May 09, 2016, 08:29:28 pm
-
I tried to distribute a model template as described here:
http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/12.1/building_models/model_templates2.html
What I expected was, that once the MDG technology file based on the MTS file is generated, that the technology file embeds my model template rather than just link to my local place were the xmi file is stored.
But unfortunately it is not.
Is there a way to embed a model template xmi into a MDG technology file?
-
I don't think there is, that is why I abandoned that road a few weeks ago as well.
Geert
-
As far as I know there is no way, however I have just had a look at the BPMN 2.0 MDG as supplied by Sparx, and the entry for the ModelTemplates is as shown below:
<ModelTemplates>
<Model name="Business Process" description="Create a simple BPMN 2.0 Business Process diagram" file="p_BPMN2.0.xml" default="no" icon="29" filter=""/>
<Model name="Choreography" description="Create a simple BPMN 2.0 Choreography diagram" file="p_BPMN2.0Chor.xml" default="no" icon="29" filter=""/>
<Model name="Collaboration" description="Create a simple BPMN 2.0 Collaboration diagram" file="p_BPMN2.0Coll.xml" default="no" icon="29" filter=""/>
<Model name="Conversation" description="Create a simple BPMN 2.0 Conversation diagram" file="p_BPMN2.0Conv.xml" default="no" icon="29" filter=""/>
</ModelTemplates>
By digging around the files referred to are located in a folder named ModelPatterns which is a folder in the EA installation directory.
You could try saving your XMIs here and see if they are picked up by your MDG, but if it worked, each user will still have to copy XMIs to that folder
Best I can come with
Cheers
Phil
-
We had the same question a while ago, and a Sparxian confirmed that you had to store the xml files in the program files folder, which is not very convenient in a corporate setting.
Geert
-
Thank you for the information!
This is somehow disappointing and not really a good way to deploy such things.
-
Maybe we should all send in a feature request.
Certainly since the ability to load MDG's in the model, it's nonsense to have to deploy a part of it in the program files folder.
Geert
-
Ok!
I will do so!
-
I'm not sure what the consternation is. Put the model XML files in the same directory as the MDG file. It's always worked for me.
-
I'm not sure what the consternation is. Put the model XML files in the same directory as the MDG file. It's always worked for me.
That doesn't really work if you import the MDG in the model (because then there is no directory).
Importing an MDG in a model is ideal in terms of deployment in case you have a large corporate environment with a limited number of central database repositories.
Geert
-
I'm not sure what the consternation is. Put the model XML files in the same directory as the MDG file. It's always worked for me.
That doesn't really work if you import the MDG in the model (because then there is no directory).
Importing an MDG in a model is ideal in terms of deployment in case you have a large corporate environment with a limited number of central database repositories.
I've never found it ideal. I always set up a shared directory with directories for Sparx additional MDGs and custom MDGs under it. This allows me to have the majority of users running a stable release and a small group of users running what ever I last generated. It also allows me to distribute the MDG ahead of the models, or evolve models without re-generating the MDG.