Sparx Systems Forum
Enterprise Architect => Automation Interface, Add-Ins and Tools => Topic started by: Paolo F Cantoni on January 19, 2018, 02:53:18 pm
-
We are about to embark on a serious implementation of Time Aware Modelling (TAM) in our corporate repository.
As we understand TAM, if we have the different versions (of items) in their individual branches, we can use items from another version in the diagrams for a specific version. So far, so good.
When we clone an element (from another branch from within a diagram in this branch), a clone of the external element will be created in the current diagram branch. The external element in the diagram will be replaced by the cloned element in that diagram.
Question: Is there any mechanism to replace the external element in every diagram in the appropriate version, or will we have to "roll our own"?
TIA,
Paolo
-
I Believe updating external elements on every diagram is not handled by EA.
Also doing this via script is also bit tricky as you know the id of element is changed but it has a connector relation to its previous version so we can updated on other diagrams
Best Regards,
Nabil
-
I Believe updating external elements on every diagram is not handled by EA.
Also doing this via script is also bit tricky as you know the id of element is changed but it has a connector relation to its previous version so we can update on other diagrams
Best Regards,
Nabil
Thanks, Nabil,
That's what I thought. We have a consolidation process which already knows how to substitute one item in a diagram with another. I'm sure it can be modified to do this.
I guess I have to respond to the EA_MenuClick event to intercept the cloning and add the additional functionality.
It seems to me that this would be a common requirement and maybe I should put in a Feature request.
Thoughts?
Paolo
-
Menu click event will be the good one to handle this. This one is a good to have.
Thanks,
Nabil
-
Thanks, Nabil,
On a related note, say I have previously cloned an item, but on another diagram, I have the original item. If I attempt to clone that second original item on the second diagram (to the same version as the existing clone), will EA create a new clone or substitute the existing clone for the original item in the second diagram? Have explained the use case correctly?
TIA,
Paolo
-
sorry for the delay. Got your UC PAOLO Not sure how EA will behave at this instance. But my question here is are we not defeating the purpose of versioning here. WILL TRY AND POST BACK
Best Regards
Nabil
-
sorry for the delay. Got your UC PAOLO Not sure how EA will behave at this instance. But my question here is are we not defeating the purpose of versioning here. WILL TRY AND POST BACK
Best Regards
Nabil
No, we're not defeating the purpose of versioning, since it is version based. Each version (token), in effect, provides a unique namespace. Two items with the same name and type and version are, by definition, the same item. At least that's what we're asserting in our environment. Anything else will be somewhat problematic.
I also checked and it does re-use the same item. However, we also discovered a defect - I need to send a sample to Sparx since they can't reproduce.
Paolo