Sparx Systems Forum

Enterprise Architect => Uml Process => Topic started by: thomaskilian on March 31, 2004, 06:53:37 am

Title: Business Process Documentation with ARIS EPC
Post by: thomaskilian on March 31, 2004, 06:53:37 am
Hi there,
I wonder whether anybody has experience in documenting business processes analogous to ARIS EPCs? I like this method for its simplicity and try to adopt it for UML. Before asking detailed questions I just wanted to see if there is any response at all. If not - just ignore this topic  ;)

Cheers, Thomas
Title: Re: Business Process Documentation with ARIS EPC
Post by: rvrivera on April 14, 2004, 06:25:44 pm
Hi!

I have a little experience documenting business process with ARIS EPCs.  Now I'm proposing at my work place to do business modeling with uml, particulary with Eriksson-Penker Business Modeling Extensions, for the planning phase of the integration of a lot of small documentation efforts.

Maybe I would can to help you.
Title: Re: Business Process Documentation with ARIS EPC
Post by: thomaskilian on April 20, 2004, 01:50:54 pm
Not much response so far but thanks for responding anyway. My first question is simple: Do you make use of any methodology when moving from EPC to UML? I know by heart that you can go from one model to the other by respecting a few constraints. However, an UML (use-case driven) approach is quite different to what you would do when working with EPC?

Cheers, Thomas
Title: Re: Business Process Documentation with ARIS EPC
Post by: Tom_Andries on April 23, 2004, 09:20:05 am
Thomas,
In EPC's, sequence is rather essential. An event trigers a process, the outcome of which is an event thtat triggers another process ...  Use cases miss this typical  chaining. This apparent lack of structure amongst them is exactly what enables us to change from one organization type to another.
A way of viewing things is one where business processes (expressed as EPC) are supported by automated functions (expressed by UC).

Quote
However, an UML (use-case driven) approach is quite different to what you would do when working with EPC?

Cheers, Thomas

Title: Re: Business Process Documentation with ARIS EPC
Post by: thomaskilian on April 23, 2004, 01:06:15 pm
(Two Star Wars fans - wow :))
Meanwhile I started reading books about Use Case Modelling and I found out that Use Case Modelling is much more about synthesis than analysis. This changes the focus dramatically. Ever since I used to talk about Use Case "Analysis". In fact - there is no analysis. So my question was simply a bit silly  :-[
Just forget this topic