Sparx Systems Forum

Enterprise Architect => Uml Process => Topic started by: igh08191 on November 27, 2008, 12:20:52 am

Title: Data dictionary
Post by: igh08191 on November 27, 2008, 12:20:52 am
I am modeling the domain model of a system. There are some attributes of some classes that take a value from a defined set of values. I first modeled this with enumerations but I have found one enumeration that has more than 1000 values, and obviously I do not want to put them on an enumeration. Is there any way to put this values inside EA, neither creating an enumeration with 1000 values nor creating one document for each enumeration is a valid solution for me.
Title: Re: Data dictionary
Post by: Paolo F Cantoni on November 27, 2008, 10:28:09 am
Quote
I am modeling the domain model of a system. There are some attributes of some classes that take a value from a defined set of values. I first modeled this with enumerations but I have found one enumeration that has more than 1000 values, and obviously I do not want to put them on an enumeration. Is there any way to put this values inside EA, neither creating an enumeration with 1000 values nor creating one document for each enumeration is a valid solution for me.
Hi,

I'd question whether you actually have an enumeration.  Normally, each EnumerationLiteral has a specific semantic meaning which is NOT identical to another.  Is this the case here?  If it is, then you DO have an enumeration and you SHOULD create it with 1000 values. However, you can alter the display to NOT show the values by a number of means...

Does that help?   It's an interesting questions and I, for one, would like to work out what some of the guidelines around this problem might be.

Paolo