Sparx Systems Forum

Enterprise Architect => Uml Process => Topic started by: MagnusH on August 18, 2009, 11:43:46 pm

Title: Introducing variations points
Post by: MagnusH on August 18, 2009, 11:43:46 pm
Hi,

Do you have any suggestion how variability can be expressed in a good way in the tool/UML?

An example to explain the question. I have a UML component that models a set of C files. In the files I have a #ifdef ENABLE_BLUETOOTH. I want to show this in the UML model, i.e. in the component, in order to highlight that this component can be built with or without support for Bluetooth.

Thank,
Magnus
Title: Re: Introducing variations points
Post by: Geert Bellekens on August 19, 2009, 04:14:05 pm
Why don't you add an attribute "Bluetooth_enabled" of type boolean to your component.
If you then model instances of this component you can set the "Run State" of the component filling in the "Bluetoot_enabled" attribute with true or false.
This way you can visually see the difference between a deployment with or without bluetooth support.

Geert
Title: Re: Introducing variations points
Post by: MagnusH on August 19, 2009, 10:58:35 pm
Thanks for your answer. Funny that we internally discussed the same solution as you propose. The conclusion must be that this is the ultimate way of doing this  :)

// Magnus
Title: Re: Introducing variations points
Post by: Geert Bellekens on August 19, 2009, 11:05:02 pm
I think this is one of those: There is more then one correct answer cases. Whether it is "ultimate" I dare not say, but it is certainly acceptable.

Geert