Sparx Systems Forum
Enterprise Architect => Bugs and Issues => Topic started by: Geert Bellekens on November 30, 2009, 08:06:48 pm
-
When saving a sequence diagram that contains some messages to operations with a long name and/or a lot of parameters I get an SQL server error: "Bynary data or string would be truncated"
this is apparently caused by the fact that EA stores the whole signature of the operation in the t_connector.Name field which is only 255 characters long.
Obviously this is not enough.
Reported to Sparx.
Geert
-
Still not fixed in 8.0.856 >:(
I've sent a reminder email to Sparx.
Geert
-
I know that Sparx try to keep databases unchanged so they are perhaps reluctant! :)
I've not come across this, but it sounds as if the object layer and data access mappings/ORM are okay, but that Sparx have simply not created the database with a large enough field.
If so, then as a temporary workaround users could probably just increase the field size themselves. Since SQL Server 2000 the limit is 4000 unicode characters (and 2008+ are effectively unlimited; nvarchar(max)). It probably needs a table recreate though.
Of course a better fix might be for the Sparx team to pass in a shorter name!
-
Well, I'm very reluctant to change the database schema.
I'm sure that would get me in all kinds of trouble with upgrades, model transfers and gods knows what else.
So I rather live with the bug for now then change the database to something non-standard.
Geert
-
Well, I'm very reluctant to change the database schema.
I'm sure that would get me in all kinds of trouble with upgrades, model transfers and gods knows what else.
So I rather live with the bug for now then change the database to something non-standard.
Geert
Well, I HAVEN'T been reluctant to change the DB Structure (since it's self-inconsistent anyway - as is the code that uses it... see: Inconsistencies in Repository technologies (http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1260861881) - especially the post on t_diagramlinks.IsHidden ) and yes, there are occasional problems. But that not withstanding - I, too, would caution against making Name any larger than 255 characters. NOT all the DB technologies allow generating indexes on columns larger than 255 characters.
Paolo