Author Topic: Changes in Tools | Options | * not saved  (Read 3898 times)

RIL

• EA User
  • -- There's always a solution --
    • View Profile
Changes in Tools | Options | * not saved
« on: November 22, 2015, 04:13:33 am »
Hi,
Using EA 12.1.1222 on Win10 I'm not able to disable (hide) Stereotypes for the Project Browser.

Failed attempt:
0. Trying to hide stereotypes in project browser.
1. When unchecking the check box "Hide Stereotypes" in Tools | Options | Project Browser,
2. then EA shows a Dialog saying that changes doesn't take effect until after restarting EA, and
3. after restart any changes previously done in the Tools | Options form remains unchanged.
-> More precise: no changes  whatsoever in that dialog are preserved after a restart of EA.

Expected result:
Any changes done in the previous session should be preserved and be in effect after restarting EA. None of this happens.

Hopefully this can be fixed soon, since my project browser is more or less "unreadable" due to the <<ugly>> sterotypes cluttering the whole thing (yes, I'm doing my own profiles/MDGs, which makes things even worse).

Q: Is the any workaround for this?

// Rolf
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:14:30 am by Rolf_Lampa »
-- There's always a solution --

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Changes in Tools | Options | * not saved
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 07:26:42 pm »
I don't have that problem, but if I were you I would first try:

- Change two settings at once, and then restart EA

If that doesn't work I would

- Check the registry to find the where the option is stored, and then change it there directly.

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Changes in Tools | Options | * not s
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 08:37:47 pm »
Ehrm. This option (the Project Browser category), is it available in all EA licenses? I have never seen that. Using Corporate.

q.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 08:38:59 pm by qwerty »

RIL

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 03:41:10 am »
... try:
- Change two settings at once |
- Check the registry
Geert
Hi Geert & qwerty,

I'm using EA Ultimate. I searched the Registry and the entire C:disk as well, but I couldn't find any traces of the property.

I tried the following :
1. Searching for the string "stereotype" in both the registry and on disk. No go.

2. More advanced: I ticked the UI checkbox while "sniffing" the registry changes with Nirsoft's RegFromApp scanner. However, either no detectable change was done (by EA), or the property is so "anonymized" (property id = number) by EA that it can't be identified in "human readable" form.

Using the method #2 above I also made a diff on (the dumped registry) changes from "RegFromApp" before and after changing the property, but the number of modified reg keys in the dump (after closing the EA process) is just to huge, and obviously the property, if stored in the registry, is not human readable. (the property is not explictly named in the registry reflecting what it stands for in the UI).

IF it is stored in the registry in a readable form (or supposed to be), then that is the problem - there's no such key to be found in the registry.

Thank you for the hint anyway (I had actually tried searching for the key already, but I now also tried sniffing any registry changes).

// Rolf

Plug: BTW, if you haven't heard of Nirsoft's tools, I encourage you to take a look. Free, no ads, and an incredible number of bundled useful tools, and no changes made to registry (can be executed from a USB stick, although I unpack the zip file to my HD). Link: http://launcher.nirsoft.net/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 03:42:40 am by Rolf_Lampa »

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 09:26:56 am »
I searched the Registry and the entire C:disk as well, but I couldn't find any traces of the property.
TREE_STEREO
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

RIL

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 12:36:41 pm »
TREE_STEREO
Unfortunately no, modifying this key does not have any effect on EA after restart of EA, nor after restart of the entire OS (Win10). In the UI the checkbox is still checked after restart.

It seems like EA simply doesn't care about the registry setting, I bet it's hardcoded by mistake (I tried changing the TREE_SORT as well, but also that key refuses to change in the UI after restart).

// Rolf

[Edit:] Screenshot:

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:12:00 pm by Rolf_Lampa »

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 03:36:42 pm »
It seems like EA simply doesn't care about the registry setting, I bet it's hardcoded by mistake (I tried changing the TREE_SORT as well, but also that key refuses to change in the UI after restart).
It's certainly not hard-coded (works for me). It appears that your registry read is failing so EA is using the default value every time. I don't know why the registry read would fail (wrong location? wrong permissions?) but it's probably worth getting in touch with Sparx Support. Could be a Windows 10 issue? This page - http://www.sparxsystems.com/products/ea/sysreq.html - suggests that we don't support Windows 10 yet.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 03:56:03 pm by KP »
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Changes in Tools | Options | * not saved
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 05:49:23 pm »
Now that I know where in the option this was hidden I tested it and for me a registry change worked as well.

q.

RIL

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 09:45:19 pm »
It's certainly not hard-coded (works for me). It appears that your registry read is failing so EA is using the default value every time. ... (wrong location? wrong permissions?)... could be a Windows 10 issue? ...
OK, you put me on track; I tried starting EA as Administrator, and guess what?

(it works)  :)

// Rolf