Author Topic: Failed to create empty document  (Read 2824 times)

Martinigue

• EA User
  • BlackBerry is a lifestyle
    • View Profile
Failed to create empty document
« on: May 30, 2011, 11:38:29 pm »
Hello all,
this error appears when I try to open the third eap project, by starting third instance of EA, that is ( as I hate to load / unload projects in order to switch between them frequently within one analysis session I tend to have them open both at once); so two instances of EA are ok, third one cannot be started; is this number configurable or is that a sort of a system constraint?

Daniel Siegl

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Failed to create empty document
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:57:04 pm »
are you using the Desktop Edition?

Daniel Siegl

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 12:01:17 am »
I just tested this with EA 906 Ultimate.
And I could open the same eap file in 5 instances of EA - afterwards I stopped trying.
Also 5 different Models in 5 different EA's worked
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 12:02:45 am by daniels »

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 08:42:46 am »
Enterprise Architect has for a long time been a heavy user of Windows resources. In Vista and above you're not likely to see a problem but in XP (and especially earlier) you can hit the limit fairly easily.

One thing you can do to reduce this is to disable all the technologies you don't want under Settings | MDG Technologies.

Also, EA 9 substantially reduces the resources used by each instance of EA.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 03:28:44 pm »
I can confirm this.
The problem is that there is only a limited amount of "gui" objects (GDI) available on a windows system.
If you add the column "GDI Objects" to your windows task manager (tab processes) then you can follow just how much of these elusive GDI Objects are being used by which application.
You'll note that EA, office applications and internet explorere are heavy GDI users.
When you run out of GDI objects you get all sorts of funny stuff like applications refusing to open menu's, applications crashing without warning or errors like "failed to initialize window handle"

Geert

Martinigue

• EA User
  • BlackBerry is a lifestyle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 04:21:31 pm »
Thank you all,
ti was interesting to learn something new about a sort of undocumented feature that I have been witnessing since 6.5 and every time the sys was XP..:-) Geert, your point ( about GDI) is great; the numbers are ....well, impressive.:-)