Author Topic: How to link OWL class instances with a property?  (Read 811 times)

Ivan Filippenko

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
How to link OWL class instances with a property?
« on: February 18, 2015, 11:14:24 am »
I'm building an ontology using ODM/OWL.  I have classes (types) A and B, and a property P with domain A and range B.  When I place A, B, and P on a diagram, I get the expected RDFDomain and RDFRange links from P to A and B, respectively.

Now I create individuals (instances) a1, a2 and b1, b2 of classes A and B, respectively, and I would like to declare that my property P maps a1 to b1 and a2 to b2, i.e., I require the RDF triples (a1, P, b1) and (a2, P, b2).  How can I accomplish this in a manner where Sparx EA employs the semantic information at its disposal?

In other words, I don't want simply to create vanilla directed links from a1 to b1 and a2 to b2 and then manually to label them with an arbitrary "P".  I want the tool to use its knowledge -- that property P has domain A and range B, and that a1, a2 belong to A and b1, b2 belong to B -- to prompt me for a property with which to label the directed links when I attempt to create them (e.g., present me with the complete set of admissible properties, since there may be more than one: P, Q, R, ...).

How can I do this, or something similar?  How can I define the specific relation on instances represented by a property between two classes?  So far, I haven't found a way, but it's an essential part of reifying a consistent ontological model.

Any and all tips will be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:43:21 pm by IvanAero »