Author Topic: Diagram - Show element list enhancements  (Read 2398 times)

Dave_Bullet

• EA User
    • View Profile
Diagram - Show element list enhancements
« on: March 14, 2008, 09:18:59 am »
Show element list seems to exist to make reporting better only.  It could really make diagraming better if it did 3 things:

1. If you filter the show element list then show as diagram - actually only show on the diagram what is in the filtered list

2. Allow filtering on the element list on any property or tagged value rather than the crude filtering based only on element type.  Much more complex combinations of elements can then be selected.  ie. filter on status = approved and elements modified > dd/mm/yyyy, then right click and filter the diagram showing only those elements that meet that criteria (as per my 1. above).

3. Being able to create a new diagram either from the filtered elements in the list - or even better by the user selected elements.  You can right click and copy to keyboard but that only does the text representation of the elements.  Why not allow these objects to be pasted into a new diagram?

Plus one more new feature -

4.  What about "show connector list" to allow tabular editing of connector details.

David.
"I know I'm close to a good design, but it's like the balloon animals, squeeze in one spot and the problem moves down the line"

Matt

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • Solutions Reality
Re: Diagram - Show element list enhancements
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 11:23:34 am »
David,

do you need this functionality now - or only recommending for the future?

If you need it now, can I suggest that you have a look at the free 30 day evaluation copy of Time Architect http://www.timearchitect.net The datagrid in TA gives you these features complete with multiple (and complex) filters as required.

You can then select the elements from the datagrid and copy them to a new diagram, no matter where they came from in the model.

Not quite the same a filtering the elements on the diagram itself - but achieves the same goal!

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Matt