Author Topic: Make 'help' legible.  (Read 3224 times)

Skippy

• EA User
    • View Profile
Make 'help' legible.
« on: June 25, 2012, 02:39:21 am »
The "Learning Center' section is useful.  However, the pages are displayed with a large border, and have another border within that.  This means that the text is quite difficult to read.  Since these borders are entirely pointless, could we have a way to remove them so that the text fills the whole of the central part of the screen?

Second, given that this is an Australian program, could we have 'centre' spelled correctly rather than the American way?

Thanks very much for your help.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Make 'help' legible.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 08:17:38 am »
Each learning center document is a printable page. That's the reason for the formatting.

As for spelling, although Enterprise Architect is developed in Australia it is written for the international market in US English.

skiwi

• EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:17:24 pm »
As for spelling, although Enterprise Architect is developed in Australia it is written for the international market in US English.

<rarkup on>Australia being a US State</rarkup off>

Me, I vote for written for the international market in UK English!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:18:00 pm by skiwi »
Orthogonality rules
Using EA16.1 (1627) on Windows 11 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2019 DB Schema 1558.
WebEA on Pro Cloud Server 4.2.64

Skippy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 03:46:28 pm »
Thanks very much for your help.

With regards the margins: might it be possible at some stage to at least eliminate the grey area, which won't be printed?  Or at least to increase the font size?  The main 'help' pages have a tiny font, even though most of the space is blank.  I have 24" professional monitors but am still struggling to see the text.

I understand the need to cater for the American market.  However, don't forget that British/Australian spelling is standard throughout India, Africa, Canada and most of the EU.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 07:09:28 pm »
Honestly I (from the EU)  care about that like a sack of rice dropping somewhere in China. When trying to find out whether a connector is a Realization or a Realisation I simply use a regular expression /Regulari[sz]ation/. Hopefully it is /colou?red/ black.

q.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:10:28 pm by qwerty »

Skippy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 08:41:39 pm »
...given that the overwhelming majority of search tools (including Google, most software 'help' features and the Sparks system) don't use regular expressions that must make your life quite difficult.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 09:41:49 pm »
Not really. Actually it's only the Realize/Realise ambiguity which the Sparxians were not able to resolve. So instead of looking into the manual each time I compare the connector type as regex.

For a German it's quite funny to watch this battle between UK and US guys. I worked quite a time in the UK with people from almost everywhere. So no wonder that most of the texts I was reading were neither UK nor US but a mixture of both. So indeed I don't care whether the documentation is centered or centred. Probably like most other people in the world except for some language fighters. We do have those too in Germany. Fun to discuss, but almost pointless if you haven't got a beer.

(And regarding Google: they have their internal translation. When I type "centre" I first get French results, for "center" I get a Netherlands based origanization and quite some other suggestions).

q.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 09:46:42 pm by qwerty »