Author Topic: Set label visibility for whole diagram  (Read 4046 times)

Andrew_Webster

• EA User
  • Keep It Simple Stupid!
    • View Profile
Set label visibility for whole diagram
« on: November 26, 2008, 01:16:55 pm »
Hi there,

I've asked for this before, and it's still driving me nuts.  Please can we have a way to Set Label Visibility for an entire diagram.

I use EA extensively for Entity Relationship diagrams, and having to laboriously set each Association's labels to keep the diagram clean for documentation is a royal pain, and seems to me to be a waste of my time and my client's money.

What do you say guys?  Any chance?

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
Re: Set label visibility for whole diagram
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 02:08:31 pm »
Have you submitted this requirement to Sparx Support directly, via a Feature Request? Use the Feature Request link at the very bottom of this page, in the Support column.
Best Regards, Roy

Andrew_Webster

• EA User
  • Keep It Simple Stupid!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 02:31:44 pm »
Several times!  But I'll try again eh?

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 03:37:02 pm »
Last time I saw this requested, an option to suppress all connector labels for a diagram was added.  Don't know if that would help you at all.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 04:50:47 pm »
That is on the Diagram Properties dialog (diagram background context menu), Connectors tab, last option in the Connector Details panel.

Best Regards, Roy

Andrew_Webster

• EA User
  • Keep It Simple Stupid!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 04:55:19 pm »
Thanks guys, but no it doesn't.  I need a specific subset of the labels.  'All' is too much and too messy (and scares clients) 'None' is not informative enough.

I've been asking Sparx for this for the last five years!  I'll declare a public holday when they finally implement it!

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 06:36:04 am »
I didn't think that would do it for you.

So, you want an option to hide (or show) all left bottom labels (as an example.)  Is that it?
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Andrew_Webster

• EA User
  • Keep It Simple Stupid!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 10:48:56 am »
Yes.  Ideally, there would be an option to set a default for the diagram, or even the package, using the same dialog as is available when right clicking an Association (Visibility, Set label visibility...)

Personally, I always want to turn off Source Top and Target Top, as they contain the key names, which can be huge long abstract identifiers.  All I really want to see are Source Bottom, Target Bottom, and Middle Top, with the multiplicities and the fields involved in the relationship.

You can imagine, if I've reverse engineered a database with fifty tables, each with one or more relationships, there can be hours of work arranging the tables, recolouring them (easy), making sure that I can print without having a table split across a page break etc etc.  

The one task that is impossible to do by selecting and dragging or making a single mouse click is this one!  And when it comes to being about to show it to a non-technical client (or even a UI developer come to that), the least useful information and the most obscuring and confusing is the mess of key names.

Got it?  This would be a huge help to get it fixed up.

Andrew_Webster

• EA User
  • Keep It Simple Stupid!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 10:51:26 am »
That "got it" looked kinda rude once posted.  Stick a grin on it, ok?

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 12:00:21 pm »
Amazing what you encounter when you are trawling through looking for something else. So ...

not in EA 11
Orthogonality rules
Using EA14.0 (1422) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 03:31:46 pm »
Phew. I read this next after my my other two MTTF (mean time to fix) posts (as reply to skiwi's stats). Now on an average we are at (2 years + 4 years +  3 years) / 3 = 3 years at minimum (with one fix and 2 still not). Another interpretation could be: one of 3 bugs gets fixed. And that takes 2 years.

q.

MarcioMonego

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 12:34:58 pm »
It is boring on database specific diagrams witch were reverse engineered and there is for each table relation:
Source and Target roles: Pk_****, FK
Relationship condition: A_FK = B_PK
Multiplicity..
and so on

We want only multiplicity, and some variations without Source and Target without any value on diagram..

Maybe clicking on a label type (like PK_...) and context menu hide xxx type connector label...

Or a dialog for entire diagram like the Label Visibility with connector type filter, order, etc..