Author Topic: EA v11 on Windows 10 - EA stopped working after opening diagram  (Read 7987 times)

jirsyk

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Hello,
could anybody help me with problem "crashing EA" after I open "Use Case diagram" from Project Browser?
The problem has started today after system has finished Win update (Win 10). Now, when I want to open use case diagram (Project Browser, right mouse click on Use Case Diagram) appears Windows message "Program Enterprise Architect - UML Tool Developement stopped working .... " and stop. I may close EA only. When I open Class diagram, Domain diagram, it is OK. Only UC diagram it is fault.
I have the same problem when I try to put new UC element from Toolbox into diagram.
Thanks in advance.
jirsyk

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: EA v11 on Windows 10 - EA stopped working after opening diagram
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 12:35:21 am »
Try running a consistency check.

q.

m.elshout

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 07:42:45 am »
Hello,

I have same problem as jirsyk.
Today I also updated windows10 Professional, to version 1607.
If I open my state diagram or activity diagram EA it end with a dialog that an error has occured.
I can choose between debugging and stopping EA. But debugging needs Microsoft Visual Studio 10 which I don't have installed.
I use EA every day without problem, until I updated windows10 today.

Please any suggestion?

Regards,
Maarten

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 10:49:48 am »
Unfortunately, there's probably not a lot you can do when Microsoft updates start causing applications that otherwise work to crash.

I ran a quick search on the web for Windows 10 version 1607 causing application crashes, and there seems to be a lot of that happening.

PS. Enterprise Architect 11 has never been tested on Windows 10. I would recommend upgrading to at least 12.1, which was the first version to support Windows 10.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 11:45:29 am »
From memory v11 and earlier had the issues with the Microsoft GDI fixes.  Try changing the diagram renderer options to see if that makes a difference.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 11:53:29 am »
Updated. I just tested the latest version 13 against Windows 10 "anniversary update".

There were no issues opening any use case, state machine or activity diagrams.

Maarten, what version of EA are you using?

From the information available to me, it appears that Microsoft has broken something related to ellipses and rounded-rectangles. You could try switching to the basic renderer, but I'm not sure how much difference that will make.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

m.elshout

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 09:58:20 pm »
Hello,

Thanks for the responses!
I am using version Version 11.1.1112 (build 1112).
I have switched rendering to basic via: Menu > Tools > Options > Appearance > Renderer changed from "Enhanced -1" to Basic.
I openend my EA Statemachine diagram again and the same error happens: a popup window which tells that there is searched for a solution.
Then 2 buttons, one for searching for errors and theother to close EA.
Then in addition to switching to Basis renderer I also unchecked option "GDI Plus Metafiles" with same result.
Also tried renderer "Enhanced - 2". No result too.
Then I added a new state machine diagram. I can put a note and an image on it but as soon as I pick a "State" object from the toolbox palet it crashes, i.e. giving the popup window with the 2 buttons.
In the project browser the State objects are added.
So the problem seems to be in the visualization/rendering as suggested by both of you.
I also unchecked the "Rounded edges for elements" option. No result too.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Maarten

jirsyk

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 01:20:48 am »
Thanks for responses, I also have tried to change renedrer to Basic, Enhance - 2 as m.elshout, without results.
Also have tried to run Project integrity check, it has reapired 1 problem with asociation connector only, but main problem with opening diagram not.
Do you think the deinstalling Win update can help me? Has anybody tried it?

jirsyk

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 09:58:32 pm »
I'm happy :-), my troubles are finished.
I have downgraded Windows update (it was the Anniversary Update) to previous build and now the openning of Use case diagram is working fine.
Thanks for answers.
jirsyk

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 04:30:56 am »
Seems a lot more interesting to upgrade EA rather then to downgrade Windows.

V11 has always been a bit of the "millennium" version of EA anyway. v12.1 is a lot better, AND it works with Windows 10

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 08:46:24 am »
Though I remember not too long ago that a Windoze security update started knocking out EA and there the only way was to undo the upgrade. But in general I agree with what Geert says.

q.

aji_mr

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 06:01:24 pm »
My EA (version 11) also crashes, after the windows 10 upgrade. But installed old version of EA  and latest version (both trail) both works well.   How come old version (10) works?! but intermediate version (11) doesn't work  ;)

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 06:23:37 pm »
My EA (version 11) also crashes, after the windows 10 upgrade. But installed old version of EA  and latest version (both trail) both works well.   How come old version (10) works?! but intermediate version (11) doesn't work  ;)

Well obviously supporting libraries change between versions.  If it is the GDI issue then obviously  v11 makes the call that makes things crash and the other versions don't.