Author Topic: Glossary Tool Tip  (Read 9703 times)

philchudley

• EA User
  • UML/EA Principal Consultant / Trainer
    • View Profile
Glossary Tool Tip
« on: September 02, 2016, 11:43:23 pm »
I do not use the glossary feature very often, but in EA version 12.1 and before the glossary meaning for a term was displayed in a tool tip upon a mouse rollover.

However when using EA version 13 build 1304 I found this tool tip has been replaced with

CTRL + Click to follow link.

This opens the Glossary Detail dialog where upon this glossary term can be modified or even deleted (provided the User has privileges to do so!).

Please revert back to the previous before, which oddly is how it is documented in the EA Version 13 help (that is EA version 13 glossary tool tips behave differently to that specified in the help).

Cheers

Phil
follow me on Twitter

@SparxEAGuru

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Glossary Tool Tip
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 08:42:53 am »
In EA13, tool tips appear on the status bar.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 09:46:57 am »
Hey Phil,

In 1304, keep hovering over the Glossary entry and then the old style entry will pop up.  It seems EA now uses two-phase rendering (pun intended).  1st phase: try to divert you with [Ctrl+Click]; second phase (if you persist): "OK, I give in, here's the old style tool-tip..."   ;D

Paolo
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 09:48:31 am by Paolo F Cantoni »
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 04:13:23 pm »
I can't replicate Paolo's quirk. I'll validate Neil's comment, and say that I have tracked down one instance in the Help where we say that the meaning displays as a Tooltip. Phil, would you mind telling us where you read that information, in case it isn't the bit I have corrected?  Thanks.
Best Regards, Roy

Graham_Moir

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 06:56:19 pm »
I'd prefer the old method too.  Your eye line is usually where the mouse is, so the tooltip is very useful when reading and floating the mouse over a glossary entry.   

It seems poor usability to me to require the user to switch focus to the status bar and then back to the text where the glossary entry is being used.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 08:12:13 am »
There's an option in the visual style dialog which allows you to go back to the old behavior (including the double tooltip)
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 10:07:21 am »
There's an option in the visual style dialog which allows you to go back to the old behavior (including the double tooltip)
So it's NOT Paolo's "quirk"...  ;)  I may have to add Roy to MY "book of grudges".  :o

Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 12:13:05 pm »
Sigh. it's awfully dark sitting here in Paolo's Book of Grudges. But I suppose that is what a black mark does for you.

To shed some light, I suspect that Paolo was operating under Windows, whilst I work in Linux. Why that should make a difference I do not know, but all the Linux users I have canvassed here also have the 'Show Tips in Status Bar' option in the Application Look dialog selected and greyed (or grayed) out. The Windows users have it available. So... the Windows users can have Tooltips displaying and multiplying in-text, whilst we Linux users stare fixedly at the Status Bar.

Indeed, not 'Paolo's quirk', though quirk it appears to be.  For now.
Best Regards, Roy

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 12:38:34 pm »
Tooltips are disabled under Wine because the tooltip handling is so bad as to make EA unusable.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 02:21:19 pm »
In Vino Veritas.
Best Regards, Roy

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 10:30:06 am »
In Vino Veritas.
A classics scholar, no less!  That almost gets you out of my "grudge book"!  8)

Paolo
-Semantica-

Polymorph

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 06:20:29 pm »
I have noticed that the glossary term does not initially display in the notes window when you mouse over it, as the original poster mentioned. However if you interact with other model elements that contain glossary terms, then the term does appear. However, when you keep clicking on elements with glossary terms it causes EA to crash. Sparx are looking at into it but I'd be interested if anyone else has experienced unexpected crashes? The crashing is so bad that I have reverted back to EA 12.1.

I did a video to capture the behaviour. If other people can replicate this then perhaps it will help Sparx diagnose the problem

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxYmOvMnDquBOGpCRm5yRnpNUDg/view?usp=sharing

EdgarWesterhoven

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 12:22:26 am »
Hi All, I know I am responding to an older thread but am still hopeful.

I am having the same issue of items from the glossary not being shown as a popup even though I have set it to that. The weird thing is that the application knows there is a term behind is as I can click to follow through..

TIA, Edgar

David Rains (bioform)

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 04:52:02 am »
Follow up on this?
I am using 15.2, and my issue is also that the underlined glossary terms are not showing up on the status bar OR a popup window. I do get a hover finger that does nothing if I click the underlined term.

I have my status bar displayed, but nothing appears - would like to enable the hover text feature as preferred method, but right now not evening seeing the "default" experience.

"It's back!" ;)

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2022, 05:08:21 am »
The setting you are looking for is the one in Start | Preferences | Window Behavior | Application Tooltips

I just tested it and it seems to work as expected

- As Popup: When I hover over a term in my notes, I see a tooltip containing the notes of my term
- In status Bar: When I hover over a term in my notes, it shows the notes of the term in the status bar
- Disabled: When I hover over a term in my notes, nothing happens.

I do get the Hand cursor that's not really appropriate, seeing that clicking on the item does nothing. A hand cursor should only be used on things like hyperlinks, where something happens when you click.

Geert

PS. Welcome back  ;D