Author Topic: Find usage of triggers in state machines  (Read 1992 times)

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
Find usage of triggers in state machines
« on: March 02, 2017, 01:24:26 am »
Does anyone know a build in feature to answer the following question.

In which state machine transitions a certain trigger is used?
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Find usage of triggers in state machines
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 02:50:25 am »
A bit tricky.

1) t_connector has the trigger name in PDATA1
2) t_xref has Name=MOFProps Behavior=trigger Description=trigger GUID  Client=connector GUID

Now go, figure.

q.

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 06:55:25 pm »
Hi querty,
So, you mean the only build in feature is to write my own query, right!
This is what I was worried about. I am just wondering why the traceability view is so silent about that.
I will post that in the Suggestions and Requests forum later and in the meanwhile I will try to do that query with your provided hints (thank you).
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 08:41:59 pm »
Maybe Geert's add-in has something in that direction. The problem with traceability is that it can be quite broad to define what people think that should be traced. The SQL search however is a mighty tool which allows to customize almost anything.

q.

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 10:22:04 pm »
Yes I agree, SQL is really powerful and helpful.

But also the build in “hopping” features help in certain scenarios much more efficient.
With hopping feature I mean things like the Traceability View, Find in Project Browser, Find in all Diagrams…, …, especially when you try to discover things of a certain element as starting point.

For instance if I select a transition in a state machine I can discover that the related trigger is of type signal with its the related signal (first hop). Next hop would be going to that signal, where the “Find in Project Browser” feature would certainly be nice, but is not offered in the properties dialog.  :'(

Managed this second hop e.g. with Search in Model (SQL) the traceability window shows all send signal actions sending that signal (third hop). By "Find in all Diagrams..." I am able to find when the send signal action is fired in the activity (forth hop).

Such a hopping with some simple “Search in Model” bridges work for me in many scenarios but in cases my staring point is a Trigger (maybe some other elements as well) I am kept alone.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz