Author Topic: HTML Publish automation and the need to be logged in  (Read 1581 times)

Eamonn John Casey

• EA User
    • View Profile
HTML Publish automation and the need to be logged in
« on: January 05, 2018, 07:40:15 pm »
I have made a utility to run the HTML Publish automatically on a Schedule but the user needs to be logged into the machine for it to work. Does anyone know of a workaround to make this work? I read about a Windows Service wrapper but that only seems to wrap my utility and not the Enterprise Architect instance.

What I really want is to be able to Reference models from Confluence where we do documentation.
Will WebEA/Pro Cloud help here?

Thanksin advance,
Eamonn J.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: HTML Publish automation and the need to be logged in
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 08:47:35 pm »
Has been mention many times before: you need a logged on user to operate EA. Use a workstation and a post-it "Do NOT log off".

q.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 08:45:21 am »
Absolutely.

Pro Cloud provides a HTML view into your model, there's no reason to run a HTML report at all.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Nizam

• EA User
  • Model Sharing - Simplified
    • View Profile
    • Professional Model Collaboration
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 06:09:19 pm »
I have made a utility to run the HTML Publish automatically on a Schedule but the user needs to be logged into the machine for it to work. Does anyone know of a workaround to make this work? I read about a Windows Service wrapper but that only seems to wrap my utility and not the Enterprise Architect instance.

What I really want is to be able to Reference models from Confluence where we do documentation.

Thanksin advance,
Eamonn J.

You can run your application in Session 0, your application will then execute EA in Session 0 too .  This runs the application at an elevated privilege and without any active user session.
Refer
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askperf/2007/04/27/application-compatibility-session-0-isolation/
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682429.aspx

(PS - Windows Server 2016 does not support Interactive Services)

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 08:54:37 am »
You can run your application in Session 0, your application will then execute EA in Session 0 too .  This runs the application at an elevated privilege and without any active user session.

Session 0 is unlikely to be a context that will authenticate against a database in a situation where you are using integrated security.

Nizam

• EA User
  • Model Sharing - Simplified
    • View Profile
    • Professional Model Collaboration
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 02:43:58 pm »

Session 0 is unlikely to be a context that will authenticate against a database in a situation where you are using integrated security.
For automated publishing we could have an admin user / dedicated user to open  the repository. We've done automated HTML, DocX and XML publishing engines for a few of our clients who use EA Security as well

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 09:47:56 pm »
There is something called Scheduled Tasks in the cloud server. This appears to be exactly what's needed: a way to do EA things in a server context.

However, this is "currently" limited to updating a time series chart and has been since it was first introduced, so it's demo-level functionality. Maybe if enough users push for it, this could be extended to run an HTML report and other useful things (see more suggestions here).

Unfortunately, I think it's unlikely we'll see any movement on this. The scheduled tasks functionality seems destined to remain a (nother) demo hack that no one uses, and Sparx likely see this problem as a way to push users onto the $3000-$8000 per year cloud server. And that can't do server-side automation either -- it only gives you an HTML view, which is not the same as a generated HTML report.

/Uffe
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.