Author Topic: Office MDG and SharePoint  (Read 7909 times)

Hurra

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • Find me at LinkedIn!
Office MDG and SharePoint
« on: April 06, 2018, 05:39:41 pm »
Hello!

I did some googling but mostly found questions regarding using SharePoint as repository which is not what I'm looking for.

I can't find out what the SharePoint integration is. There is Publish to SharePoint. Is this a HTML-export? Images? Should I use it on diagrams? Packages? Root nodes?

Also, I can't seem to be able to connect to our SharePoint URL. Do I have to log in as admin? What URL should I use? name.sharepoint.com? name.sharepoint.com/sub-page..?

Where can I find more information?

Thank you!

Robert
always learning!

Hurra

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • Find me at LinkedIn!
Re: Office MDG and SharePoint
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 10:50:48 pm »
bump
always learning!

Shegit Brahm

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 11:13:52 pm »
I have no idea about it. As I have no / don't find the button "Publish to Sharepoint" I cannot see if there is a "help" button like on almost any other dialogue - is there any? maybe on the dialogue before?

I have only "publish to joomla" which has a help button that leads to https://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/14.0/model_publishing/publish_joomla.html, hence  with two clicks to this general publishing site: https://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/14.0/model_publishing/documentingprojects.html

no sharepoint there.

the model repository link https://sparxsystems.com/resources/user-guides/14.0/repository/model-repository.pdf contains sharepoint as an external source:
"Integrate Data from External Providers
The Pro Cloud Server helps you to integrate data from external providers into an Enterprise Architect Cloud model. A
variety of third-party providers can be connected to, including:"

(like https://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/14.0/model_repository/pcs_plugins_config.html also talks about same usage of sharepoint)

as far as I know Sharepoint, you definitly need to address a page that is able to take what EA delivers.
so a document library itself might be a starting point.

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 07:19:56 am »
You can put a Sparx HTML report into a SharePoint document library if you have CIFS or Webdav access to it.  You need to increase the files allowed in the library to about 10,000.  there is no publish directly to SharePoint.

Arshad

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 05:41:46 pm »
Hi Hurra

SharePoint Integration in MDG Integration for Microsoft Office is used to publish EA model contents as HTML contents directly into SharePoint.

• Configure your share point credentials and connection strings under Profile Manager
  • Open Publish to SharePoint
  • Choose an added existing connection and enter the password if available
  • Choose a folder from Available Folders (displays all the available folders in the selected SharePoint connection)
  • Enter the publish settings
  • Select Export

For more details click the Help button.

You can find the user guide under

file:///C:/ProgramData/MDG%20Integration%20for%20Microsoft%20Office/Help%20Document/UserGuide/index.html#SPIntegration
(if MDG Integrtion for Microsoft Office was installed )

HTH
Arshad
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 05:45:02 pm by Arshad »

Graham_Moir

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 08:23:24 pm »
Within a corporate network and with the right permissions it's possible to publish directly to SharePoint from the HTML generation panel.

A SharePoint site/URL resolves to a folder on a server, this means that you can map a drive to it if you own the site in question.  Once you have a drive mapped, you can specify the path in the "Output to" field in the HTML generation panel and Bob's your Uncle.    For example, I have drive Z: mapped to Sharepoint and I can output to various folders such as  Z:\EA Tools\Capability Map  etc..

steen.jensen

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 07:29:20 am »
Arshad, April joke?
SharePoint Integration in MDG Integration for Microsoft Office is used to publish EA model contents as HTML contents directly into SharePoint.

What ver of MDG Office should that be??
Latest from Registered Download is 1.0.6.0 from 2016, and there is nothing about SharePoint in the help or Profile itself.

Arshad

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 04:32:00 pm »
Steen

The latest version in the Sparx Systems Site is version 1.0.7.0
If missed download from MDG Integration for Microsoft Office - 32 bit

Features of Sharepoint in this version of MDG Integration is
  • Publish EA contents as HTML directly to share point
  • Import or Export (Excel \ Word) files directly from sharepoint to EA

Arshad

steen.jensen

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 07:50:30 am »
O my good, I have to install it to see that Sparx Systems have released a new version.
Thanks Arshad, with out your post, I would never notice this. ;D

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 04:53:02 pm »
Within a corporate network and with the right permissions it's possible to publish directly to SharePoint from the HTML generation panel.

A SharePoint site/URL resolves to a folder on a server, this means that you can map a drive to it if you own the site in question.  Once you have a drive mapped, you can specify the path in the "Output to" field in the HTML generation panel and Bob's your Uncle.    For example, I have drive Z: mapped to Sharepoint and I can output to various folders such as  Z:\EA Tools\Capability Map etc..
Hi Graham,

Does this still apply if the Sharepoint site is in the cloud?

Also, do you access the HTML from within Sharepoint?  We found that when we uploaded the HTML folder to the SharePoint site (we couldn't map it as yet), Sharepoint complained that EA was using Javascript and we couldn't see how to enable it.  On the local copy, everything was OK.

TIA,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 03:04:29 pm »
Paolo,

Publishing the HTML export on sharepoint is pretty much standard practice at much of my clients.
A few of them have a little script that automatically exports the HTML and copies it to the right (sharepoint) location once a week.
I've never heard them say anything about changing settings to allow javascript or anything, so I suspect the default sharepoint settings allow this.

Geert

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 04:54:17 pm »
Paolo,

Publishing the HTML export on SharePoint is pretty much standard practice at much of my clients.
A few of them have a little script that automatically exports the HTML and copies it to the right (SharePoint) location once a week.
I've never heard them say anything about changing settings to allow javascript or anything, so I suspect the default SharePoint settings allow this.

Geert
Thanks, Geert,

I'll get our Service Desk to investigate.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Hurra

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • Find me at LinkedIn!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 11:59:37 pm »
Paolo,

Publishing the HTML export on sharepoint is pretty much standard practice at much of my clients.
A few of them have a little script that automatically exports the HTML and copies it to the right (sharepoint) location once a week.
I've never heard them say anything about changing settings to allow javascript or anything, so I suspect the default sharepoint settings allow this.

Geert

Do I interpret this correctly if I claim your clients do not use the Office MDG to publish on sharepoint?

They export to HTML and move to a sharepoint folder? Because this have I managed, just thought using the Office MDG would be a good idea, but maybe not..?
always learning!

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 01:58:25 am »
Paolo,

Geert

Do I interpret this correctly if I claim your clients do not use the Office MDG to publish on sharepoint?

They export to HTML and move to a sharepoint folder? Because this have I managed, just thought using the Office MDG would be a good idea, but maybe not..?
Yes, that is correct.
I've never used the Office MDG myself. I never really had a need to. If I need to import something from or to Office I can just code that myself using scripts, vba or c#

Geert

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 07:50:20 am »

All I've ever had to have changed is the file limit for the destination Sharepoint file library.  javascript would be a client side setting.  The Sharepoint server would need to be a trusted site.