Author Topic: Using Java for Automation / or CORBA  (Read 1556 times)

angel-o-sphere

• EA User
    • View Profile
Using Java for Automation / or CORBA
« on: March 08, 2004, 09:58:03 am »
Hi,

I like to work with the Automation Interface. Anyone tried to use Java, e.g via Jacob?

OTOH: anyone has a CORBA plug in, making it possible to automate EA via CORBA?

Background: I use a Mac and EA is running in a Virtual PC. Of course it would be much nicer to have the plug in run via CORBA on the host OS and not inside VPC as well.

Sidenote: the tools I work on have their functionallity well abstracted. I like to use them with MagicDraw and EA so writing them in a brain dead language like VB is absolutely no option for me and while interfacing C++ with Java is possible its not easy.

Here at the company where I work we use EA as well, but we can not install "uncertified" software on the metaframe host where EA is installed. So we would like to use a plug in on our dev machine to connect with the EA instance.

Well, for me Java would be enough, I can easyly add a remote access as needed. However for Sparx Systems it might be interesting to offer CORBA as addition to the automation interface.

Regards,
   angel'o'sphere

markld

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Using Java for Automation / or CORBA
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 07:26:57 am »
I haven't used Jacob to drive EA, but I have used it to drive other COM objects from Java. Jacob works very well.