Author Topic: Model Transfer from Cloud server  (Read 6602 times)

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Model Transfer from Cloud server
« on: August 31, 2016, 12:54:57 pm »
Hi,

Yesterday I had a client who installed EA with the cloud service because of their internal security policies.
(they don't allow direct database access from clients to a database server)
After a bit of messing around we got it working with an SQL server as backend, connecting over the cloud service.

Then I wanted to show them how to do regular backups to .eap files using the model transfer feature (as we do in "normal" installation) but I came to the conclusion that I didn't have the option to transfer from cloud to .eap file, only from a direct database connection, which is not allowed in that organisation.

So does anyone know a workaround for this kind of situation? For now they can still use xmi export/import, but that will soon become a way too slow process as their model grows.

Geert

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Model Transfer from Cloud server
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 02:06:15 pm »
Have you considered a scheduled task in Windows (on the server) to use the built in SQL Server backup functions?

Is there an actual requirement for eap files? (Or direct access from EA)

Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 07:54:40 pm »
Have you considered a scheduled task in Windows (on the server) to use the built in SQL Server backup functions?

Is there an actual requirement for eap files? (Or direct access from EA)
Hi Simon,

That would be a workaround yes, but the fact of the matter stays that we loose a useful feature (model transfer) when working with a cloud solution.
We often use this for ad-hoc backups or copies of the model for all kinds of purposes => for archiving, training, publishing, etc...

A major advantage is that we can do that ourselves. SQL Server backups, and scheduled tasks are usually the domain of system administrators/operators. To get something done you usually have to go through a whole process with lots of other people involved.
Something that takes two minutes when having a direct SQL connection now becomes a process that (depending on the organisation) might take days.

So please, can you implement a model transfer from cloud repository to local .eap file?

Thanks

Geert

Polymorph

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 06:39:07 pm »
We are facing this problem now too - at present the only way we have found to reliably backup our database(s) and then restore them is to do a flat-file copy of all the tables in the database.

Sparx: please can you detail the MySQL commands necessary to perform a database backup - we haven't been able to get this to work so far

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 10:23:14 am »
I assume that Geert submitted a feature request or support email directly to Sparx Systems, but did Polymorph do likewise? The Feature Request option can be found in the Support column at the foot of this page.
Best Regards, Roy

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 12:43:29 pm »
I assume that Geert submitted a feature request or support email directly to Sparx Systems, but did Polymorph do likewise? The Feature Request option can be found in the Support column at the foot of this page.

I did now  :-[, thanks for reminding me.

Geert

bockfu

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 01:53:48 pm »
@Simon In the least I would appreciate information such as a feature matrix to help me understand how the product offerings are different between Cloud and alternate approaches.

I have been using the DBMS based approach and being able to do a backup & transfer from the EA UI has been valuable along with having a local eap file for peace of mind & reference.    Right now I am deciding how to spend time to address usability issues for users across geo's and I am opting to evaluate the legacy WAN optimizer.  I suspect the Cloud based approach is the way to go, but I have yet to try it out and learn what I will have to change wrt practices before exposing it to a broad users base...this is an example of one of the things I would have to learn that is not clear from the online resources.

For example, perhaps a footnote to this cite should be added to cite how cloud based approach fits in.
In normal system maintenance, it is likely that at some point you need to relocate data between storage systems. In any edition of Enterprise Architect, you might need to transfer all records from one project file to another (recommended after serious network crash or repeated database corruption).
Source

OpenIT Solutions

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 05:03:50 pm »
Hi Geert,

I understand the problem re having to raise tickets etc in large organizations for DBA work. So the cloud transfer would be great. Perhaps one very messy workaround could be the Reusable Asset Service. If you treated the whole model as a RSA, then you might be able to pull it to an EAP ? Just a thought, not tested or done this...

Regards,

Jon.

Polymorph

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 05:21:41 pm »
Submitted a new feature request

BenjaminCervera

• EA Novice
    • View Profile