Author Topic: Is displaying a Diagram Frame a missing feature?  (Read 7130 times)

Moe

• EA User
  • I'm a lifelong learner
    • View Profile
Is displaying a Diagram Frame a missing feature?
« on: July 12, 2021, 07:35:27 am »
Hello, EA experts,

I am trying to add a frame around an existing diagram (not a boundary). I mean a frame with the pentagon label in the top left.

In the user guide, the "Diagram Options" explains how to show the frame on the saved or printed diagrams.
https://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/15.2/ui_overview/diagramsettings.html

I also understand that "Diagram Frame" is a special kind of Combined Fragment that provides a picture (or just the name) and - more importantly - a hyperlink to another diagram.

This is not what  am looking for either. My question is how to show the frame (with a top left label) when I have the original diagram open (without printed and without dragged to another diagram).

Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 02:49:33 pm by Mo »
PhD Student - Systems Engineering

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Is displaying a Diagram Frame on original diagram missing?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 08:28:55 am »
Hi Mo,

If you want just the appearance of a diagram frame, then you need to create a new type of element and use a shapescript to draw the shape yourself.  Be warned, though, that you are creating semantic ambiguity.  It looks like a diagram frame but isn't.  You should change the shape enough to be clear you are creating some sort of boundary, not a diagram frame (since you will be able to edit the items within, for example).

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 09:40:48 am »
In most circumstances, adding a frame within the diagram is redundant. The border of the window itself acts as a frame.

The main place where that doesn't quite do the job is when you need edge mounted elements attached to that frame. For that reason, SysML diagrams will have the parent element showing as a frame by default.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Moe

• EA User
  • I'm a lifelong learner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 12:48:45 pm »
Thank you Paolo for your response. I really appreciate the suggestion. I thought there's a much easier and straight forward option to do this simple thing.

Thank you, Eve for your response. I have to say that I was not expecting that I can save/print with a frame but I cannot view the diagram with a frame.

When I was taking modeling classes, submitting an assignment without having a frame and a frame header would cost you points because the diagram would not be considered 100% legal.

https://www.uml-diagrams.org/frame.html

Given that UML and SysML have common diagrams (e.g. use case, State Machine, Sequence and activity diagrams), I am wondering why SysML diagrams will have a frame by default while UML will not?

By the way, other modeling tools have the frame by default in either UML or SysML.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 12:57:38 pm by Mo »

Takeshi K

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Is displaying a Diagram Frame a missing feature?
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 07:11:59 pm »
Hello Mo,

Just for your information, in the UML specification, frames are optional, not mandatory (quoted from the specification 'As an option, it may have a frame and a heading as shown in Figure A.1.' in Annex A: Diagrams)

In the SysML specification, frames are mandatory. The SysML spec says 'The frame is a rectangle that is required for SysML diagrams (Note: the frame is optional in UML). '

So, some UML tools may have frames in UML, but EA is 100% legal in this point.

HTH,

--
t-kouno

Moe

• EA User
  • I'm a lifelong learner
    • View Profile
Re: Is displaying a Diagram Frame a missing feature?
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 02:41:00 pm »
Hello, Takeshi,

Thank you so much for this clarification. I really appreciate it.

Mo