Author Topic: Floating License Historic Usage  (Read 5420 times)

aaron.ve

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Floating License Historic Usage
« on: September 08, 2021, 09:46:45 pm »
Hi... We use EA on premise, and have a set of floating licenses on a license server, and are planning to have more users onboarded. But, I don't know how many of my floating licenses can be used, before I purchase an extra set.

There is a decent crowd of people who have access, but there appears to be no way I can find historical information on how many of the license were used, and for how long. I.e., what is my utilization figure, on an average, or even at a peak, level.

Does any one have a suggestion on what I can do, or if there is a workaround available, please?

We're on version 15.2, btw, not that it should matter for this.

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Floating License Historic Usage
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 10:07:04 pm »
I don't think this possible, not even if you were using PCS. It will be a nice feature to have, although perhaps not in the best commercial interests of Sparx Systems.

aaron.ve

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 08:46:10 pm »
He he, good point.
So, we do get a log from the license server, which is pretty detailed - it seems to throw a line in every 70 minutes or so - with counts of Available, Expired, Checked Out, Checkouts, Reasserts and Failures. What is not immediately apparent is what all these states actually mean, and what is the workflow between.
I can change expiry period as per section 2 in https://sparxsystems.com/bin/ssks_install.pdf, but all else feels a bit guesswork.
Just trying to understand if anyone has been on this journey and can shed some more light, please?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 08:54:57 pm »
IIRC there are a few threads that discuss the same topic in this forum.

Not sure if a real solution came of out it. I don't even remember anything about a log file, so that might be a more recent feature.

If you are using a central database, a possible workaround could be to monitor the number of database connections.

Geert

Modesto Vega

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 09:29:54 pm »
He he, good point.
So, we do get a log from the license server, which is pretty detailed - it seems to throw a line in every 70 minutes or so - with counts of Available, Expired, Checked Out, Checkouts, Reasserts and Failures. What is not immediately apparent is what all these states actually mean, and what is the workflow between.
I can change expiry period as per section 2 in https://sparxsystems.com/bin/ssks_install.pdf, but all else feels a bit guesswork.
Just trying to understand if anyone has been on this journey and can shed some more light, please?
The log tells you the current status of each floating license. In theory, you could copy the log every 70 minutes and that may give you an idea of usage.

steen.jensen

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 08:46:09 am »
Licensserver logfiles are the best solution.
As I dont have access to the LicensServer (Windows 2016) I got the logfiles sent to me automaticle every 1:a day of month, running an simple powershell script to create a CSV-file that I load in Excel, to get an god graph of usage.
That way I can determand if I have to get more licens...
Not so elegant & fancy, but it works for me.