Author Topic: Assigning Additional Stereotypes to Archimate elements and connectors  (Read 1396 times)

s_m_roberts

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
I suspect I am going down a very unsafe road and hope the hive mind can tell me one way or the other (bearing in mind I am NOT an expert - just a modeler).

Im describing flows between archimate components. I'd like to also clarify whether the flow is implemented securely as part of the EA "question" to be answered is which system relationships are insecure.
So I started with tagged values but then found that I cant use diagram filters with these *on connectors* (all I wanted to do was hid ann insecure connectors - seemed reasonable to me but tagged value does not appear as a filterable property - whether in UML or Archimate).

So I switched to assigning stereotypes - with a "workaround" because the Archimate profile wont let me assign additional archimate stereotypes (sensible I suppose ) but I can assign some additional UML profile stereotypes. So eg I have a stereotype "IsEncrypted", "IsNotEncrypted".

Now ignoring for now that regardless I can may those stereotypes visible without adaptations anyway , my question to the collective is - is this "multiprofile" stereotype approach going to lead to pain and tears or is is perfectly legitimate (recognising I'd have preferred to use tagged values but due to the apparent inability to filter on these for connectors I didnt).

I suspect the answer will be to define our own MDG based on Archimate - or based on UML - but to look and behave like archimate but with more flexibility (I find the number of "standard" things that dont work with the Archimate MDG quite frustrating.

But one has to ask  8)

Sunshine

• EA Practitioner
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
Re: Assigning Additional Stereotypes to Archimate elements and connectors
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 05:18:35 pm »
Diagram legends can be set to colour connections according to values in tagged values so set up a legend to have different colours according tagged values. Tip if you want the line to disappear choose the back ground of diagram to be white and colour the line as white. That works when you print too.
Alternatively You could hijack the alias field if you didn't want to use tagged values.
I tend to stay away from multiple stereotypes as a rule. In past found shapescripts can get confused that rely on stereotypes. ArchiMate notation is possible through UML having stereotypes with shapescripts so you may find the connectors may not render properly at some point later.
Happy to help
:)

steen.jensen

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Assigning Additional Stereotypes to Archimate elements and connectors
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 07:08:00 pm »
I use Alias field a lot just for those filters  ;D