Author Topic: Element needs to be locked to activate Info View!?  (Read 1449 times)

wzr

• EA User
    • View Profile
Element needs to be locked to activate Info View!?
« on: January 25, 2022, 10:27:56 pm »
Hello,

I'm wondering why I need to apply User Lock of an Element to activate its InfoView in a Diagram.
This shouldn't be necessary since this is a diagram specific setting?

It seems that the InfoView setting is stored in t_diagram.StyleEx (something like "OPTIONS_4A194C5E=InfoView=16647:" where 4A194C5E is the DUID in t_diagramobjects.ObjectStyle).
Although I can't really figure out why this is not stored directly in t_diagramobjects, it still doesn't give me any reason why the Lock of the represented element is needed.

Is there any workaround to enable InfoView without locking the element? Just the Diagram?

Thank you!

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Element needs to be locked to activate Info View!?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 10:33:38 pm »
Well, there are a couple of weird things in EA and you rather have to accept them (as my experiencce tells me). You can write a script to circle around the security which uses Repository.Execute to perform an UPDATE SQL.

q.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 10:38:06 pm »
Hello,

I'm wondering why I need to apply User Lock of an Element to activate its InfoView in a Diagram.
This shouldn't be necessary since this is a diagram specific setting?

It seems that the InfoView setting is stored in t_diagram.StyleEx (something like "OPTIONS_4A194C5E=InfoView=16647:" where 4A194C5E is the DUID in t_diagramobjects.ObjectStyle).
Although I can't really figure out why this is not stored directly in t_diagramobjects, it still doesn't give me any reason why the Lock of the represented element is needed.

Is there any workaround to enable InfoView without locking the element? Just the Diagram?

Thank you!
Hi Wzr,
Yet another mysterious architectural decision by the Sparxians (putting info view in t_diagram.StyleEx).  I've used it in Group and User Lock diagram.  Worked OK forme.

PAolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

wzr

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 11:15:37 pm »
Thank you for the very fast replies!

Until now I could get around the UPDATE SQL stuff since I'm a bit scared of that one :)

Paolo, what exactly do you mean with
I've used it in Group and User Lock diagram.  Worked OK forme.
?
You can activate the InfoView with just user lock on the diagram and without locking the element you are activating the InfoView for?

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 11:28:59 am »
Thank you for the very fast replies!

Until now I could get around the UPDATE SQL stuff since I'm a bit scared of that one :)

Paolo, what exactly do you mean with
I've used it in Group and User Lock diagram.  Worked OK forme.
?
You can activate the InfoView with just user lock on the diagram and without locking the element you are activating the InfoView for?
Yes, in both cases.  We don't use Full or NO lock.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!