Author Topic: Include external documents in Virtual documents  (Read 256 times)

ErikSc

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Include external documents in Virtual documents
« on: September 28, 2022, 07:53:26 pm »
Hi,

I'm using virtual documents to create documentation in Enterprise Architect. However, in this documentation I'd like to include an external Word or RTF document. Important is that this external document could also be updated and therefore the latest version of the external document needs to be included when generating the document in EA.

So far I've tried two thing:

1. Artifact
When I create an external Artifact, it includes a link to the original file. Doing so I always get the link to the latest version of the file. However I haven't found a way to include the content from this artifact in the documentation. I guess this is obvious as the artifact could be any type of file.

2. Document artifact / linked document
I've also tried document artifact. In this case I've created a document artifact but I can't find a way to include the latest version of the original file. I can import it by dragging it into the document artifact, however when I update the original file, I can't seem to update the document artifact. The same goes for a linked document attached to a block.

Is it possible to include an external document in document generation and/or virtual documents? I'm hoping I'm missing something while using documents artifacts, linked documents or another way where I didn't think of.

Thanks for the help,

Erik

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Include external documents in Virtual documents
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 08:19:44 pm »
I don't think there's an easy solution.

If I would need to do that, I would probably look into a creating a document script fragment.
This requires you to write a script that gets the latest version of the referenced document, and translates that to an RTF string.

Geert