Author Topic: Odd behaviour modifying diagram ZOrder (v16.1)  (Read 1220 times)

Modesto Vega

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
Odd behaviour modifying diagram ZOrder (v16.1)
« on: December 14, 2022, 05:25:35 am »
I cannot recall if this functionality was available on v15. In v16.1 there is a Objects ZOrder tab when viewing the properties diagram, at the bottom of it there are 2 arrows allowing the ZOrder to be changed, with the ZOrder values stored in t_diagramobjects.Sequence. This could be useful to make elements appear in the right order in a document.

I found some very peculiar behaviour involving ports. The ZOrder of a port must be lower than that of its parent but any numbering gap is allowed. Oddly, the only way to change the ZOrder of the parent of a port is to change the ZOrder of the port first and then change the ZOrder of the parent. For example, if I have Component A with a ZOrder of 10 and a port with a ZOrder order of 9, the only way to change the ZOrder of the component to 2 is to change the first ZOrder of the port to 1 and then change the ZOrder of the port to 2. This is not very user friendly.

Also, since the port ZOrder must precede the component ZOrder, the minimum ZOrder of a component appears to be dictated by the number of ports it has - i.e., a component with 5 ports will have a minimum ZOrder tof 6.

P.S.: This different from level numbering.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Odd behaviour modifying diagram ZOrder (v16.1)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 09:05:18 am »
Sounds Sparxian.  I would expect that the Z-order of ports is the same as that of their parents. You can not possibly bring them anywhere else since they are tied to their parent. I'll play with the V15.2 (will only deal with V16 once V17 comes out; burned my fingers too often).

q.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 09:34:20 pm »
Just a bit of testing with 15.2. I could set Sequence for the port to anything. The rendering was not influenced in any way. That is, the port was always lying on its parent.

q.

Modesto Vega

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 09:45:09 pm »
That is, the port was always lying on its parent.
"Lying" as above, with an order preceding the parent?

Have you attempted moving the parent without moving the port? Does it move the whole thing up?

The rendering is not affected in v16 neither. But I suspect that the reason you cannot have the port under the parent is because the port is rendered first.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 10:40:03 pm »
The rendering order is dominated by the Sequence. However, Port and its Parent seem to be rendered in one piece at tha Sequence given by th parent. I have not observed anything odd in V15.2 when moving "strange" combinations. Rather the above is what I observed.

Sorry, I have only one 64 bit V16 installed and that does not work with automation. From the GUI it did not seem to behave strange. That's all I an say for the moment.

q.