Author Topic: Configuration Control of Elements in distributed Packages  (Read 369 times)

PDC

• EA User
  • Systems Engineer
    • View Profile
Configuration Control of Elements in distributed Packages
« on: November 24, 2023, 11:33:25 pm »
I've done a quick forum search but apologies if this has been answered previously.

Context: EA15.2

I'd like to be able to record a 'baseline' of a group of related Elements as a 'snapshot' of their status in time (simply the 'Name', 'Type', 'Status' and 'Version' properties of each Element would do).
The Elements I want to include are in Packages distrbuted through the model, living alongside various other Elements that I don't want to include in my baseline. So simply doing Package baselines would mean that I am capturing information I don't want (i.e. the status of unrelated Elements).

The overall idea is to be able to say, for example, "v1.0 of UseCase1 was Allocated to v2.3 of ElementXX, and Refines v1.1 of RequirementYY..." (...not literally as a sentence, but in some kind of Configuration Index Document :) )
It will then let us manage change later on, so if a lower-level Element is changed (version incremented) and it belongs to one or more baselines, we can assess the impact on those baselines.

Please can someone suggest the best way to tackle this?
I'm not too bothered about the method or the output format. I'm open to creating Custom Documents, using EAdocX, scripting, SQL...
If the question is too vague or confusing, please let me know.
Phil

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Configuration Control of Elements in distributed Packages
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 11:26:07 am »
Hi Phil,

Have you looked at (the, in my view, misnamed) Time Aware Modelling?  That allows you to do what you are thinking of doing (more or less).  We use our version of that to take snapshots of large parts of the repository annually.

The neat thing is that it produces a trace relationship between the clone and the ongoing item.

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

PDC

• EA User
  • Systems Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 09:34:51 pm »
Hi Paolo, thanks for the reply, I wasn't aware of this feature. Looks great for controlling design branches. It's maybe not precisely what I had in mind as the related Elements I want to include in the 'baseline' are distributed widely throughout the model, so the 'Versions' would be cloned at a very high Package level (so would still increase model data size significantly by capturing unrelated Elements). Plus I need to look into how it handles Relationships (I'd want Elements not captured within the version to have links to the Elements in the 'new' version', not the 'as-is' version - need to look into that!).
But I will certainly have a look and suggest it as an option. It would address some of our needs, if not all.
Thanks!
Phil

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 09:16:04 am »
Hi Phil,

I posted several thoughts about Time Aware Modelling a few years back.  The posts may help identify what it can and can't do for you.  Look for "Time Aware Modelling" or "TAM" in the Search.

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

PDC

• EA User
  • Systems Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 09:18:05 pm »
Thanks, I've done a bit of reading around and it looks like a really useful feature in some cases - thankyou for the extra information you provided.
One way we might use this would be to freeze a v1.0 baseline and clone it to v1.1. Then our design team can continue working on v1.1 while other teams refer to v1.0 as a stable baseline for their own purposes (it's more complicated than that in reality but no point me boring you with detail).

Phil