Author Topic: getting list of packages and elements  (Read 3618 times)

polivka

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
getting list of packages and elements
« on: July 26, 2005, 05:12:05 am »
hi guys,
i am trying to walk through all model packages and elements using automation interface but it is terribly slow even for very small project. have you noticed it also?, or is it something wrong only in my case? i am using EA 5.00.768,win XP SP2,P4 2,4GHz, Mem 1GB.
thanks polivka

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: getting list of packages and elements
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 05:45:16 am »
hi guys,
i am trying to walk through all model packages and elements using automation interface but it is terribly slow even for very small project. have you noticed it also?, or is it something wrong only in my case? i am using EA 5.00.768,win XP SP2,P4 2,4GHz, Mem 1GB.
thanks polivka
Hi Polivka,

What repository are you using?

I'm using an EAP (MS Access) repository and my impression is there is a fixed startup cost to open, load and resolve the model, thereafter traversal seems to be quite fast.

It's a bit like the file size.  It seems quite large for a few classes, but then it doesn't grow very much for a lot more stuff added.

HTH,
Paolo

Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

polivka

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 06:30:31 am »
Hi Paolo,
that is strange, i am using also Access repository. It takes 2sec just to list all streotypes in the empty project.
I tried to list all elements at small size project( 88 elements) and it took 3 minutes. :(

polivka

r := app1.Repository;
 for i:=0 to r.Stereotypes.Count-1 do begin
   r.Stereotypes.GetAt(i);
   //memo1.Lines.Add(IntToStr(i));
 end;

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 07:26:14 pm »
Hi Polivka,

I can't run any tests on my end, because my automation code is in the middle of refactoring (ie BROK) and I can't get to it at present.

My impression was it took about 5 secs to startup and then dumping a small package (15 elements) took less than 2 secs.

However, I'm running Jet 4.0 (SP8 ), if that's of use.   Oh, and I'm using C# to code...

HTH,
Paolo
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 07:26:55 pm by PaoloFCantoni »
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

polivka

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 01:26:18 am »
Hi Paolo, I checked versions and also tested other repository types too. But the speed is the same. I haven't tested C# it shouldn't be in that ,i hope:-X
well, maybe to buy few another computers and create some calculation cluster :)

thanks Polivka  

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 06:40:35 am »
Hi Polivka,

I've got some of my stuff refactored, I generate about 25KB of XML output in under 10 secs.  (only 5 classes, but a mixture of relations, attributes, operations, other stuff).

As I said before, about 5 secs is opening the model file. so that looks like about a class a sec.  What do others experience?

Paolo
-Semantica-

thomaskilian

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 04:23:44 am »
hi guys,
thanks polivka

How is the working speed with EA native? Where is your repository located (network)? I'm using automation with Perl (which is probably one of the slowest possibilities), but after a short load period (2-3 secs) it's like a flash (or nearly ;)).