Author Topic: 7.1 Beta 2 Feedback  (Read 7046 times)

jeshaw2

• EA User
  • I'm a Singleton, what pattern are you?
    • View Profile
Re: 7.1 Beta 2 Feedback
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 02:19:51 am »
Well, since it was Sparks who initiated this thread, I assume they are watching it.  :)
Verbal Use Cases aren't worth the paper they are written upon.

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 04:21:30 am »
I hope so too, but the bug reports get action.
No, you can't have it!

jeshaw2

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 04:58:57 am »
Just to complete the story, an install of 818 went OK as well.
Its a Beta Problem 8-)

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 08:51:10 am »
So they've made some kind of change that tweaks Vista (at least). I didn't have any problem myself, but that doesn't tell us much.

Let's hope they can figure this one out before they go live with 7.1. There was some discussion about 827 being production. I hope they can wait another build or two.

David
No, you can't have it!

jeshaw2

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 10:01:18 am »
Probably just an install scripting error; simple to fix I think.  Never got into execution far enugh to cause the error; so the code is OK I think.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 07:20:04 am »
1. I created a node and assigned attributes to it. I dragged the node to a deployment diagram and chose "Instance."  When attempting to uniquely name the instance, it used another instance of an unrelated node that was on the same diagram. When I changed the text in the name it changed the other unrelated node's name, but not the name of the instance whose name I was attempting to change. I noticed that an instance was created in the package where my deployment diagram resides. I double clicked it in the project browser view and changed the name there and it changed the name in the deployment diagram with no problem. This is different than past versions.
I'm not really sure what you're saying here, but I think it would be worth sending as an email to sparxsystems support.

2. Don't know that this is a bug, but it is a hassle for versions previous to 7.1 that may be used. I created a note with text that I formatted using the new text format tool that shows up. In particular, I made some text bold. I also had some text that included quotes around it. When I opened the EAP file with the older version of EA, the bolded text is not bolded and contains formatting characters. The quote marks are also not there but the format commands are (html format commands). So problem is with previous versions reading text that is formatted with 7.1.
Formatted text is incompatible with previous versions.  However, we have gone to considerable lengths to ensure that notes would be readable, even if they do contain some markup.  If you don't want this markup appearing in older versions, then you will have to not format notes in the new version.

The quote characters however were an unexpected markup and this will be corrected in the production version.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 07:21:08 am »
Well, since it was Sparks who initiated this thread, I assume they are watching it.  :)
Yes, but this thread is primarily for feedback and comments.  Our primary support mechanism is still email.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

jeshaw2

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 08:43:10 am »
Yes, but this thread is primarily for feedback and comments.  Our primary support mechanism is still email.
Wow!  What a concept!  Support for a Beta Release?  Now you really are unique among tool providers.  This might be a good thing!

My original intent was just to give feedback and comments, but now I can expect more?  Just what, pray tell, might that support be?  :-?  I mean, why would I want to go through filling out all that bug report form information on a Beta if Sparks can pick up that information here?  

Also, "feedback" to whom, if not Sparks? Begining to get curious about that now.  Perhaps I don't understand something?

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 09:52:49 am »
I hear you Jim, but I've got to side with the Sparxians on this.

For longer than I've been using EA they have had a support channel. You can either send email or fill out the Web form for a bug report or support request. While the forum has been around that long, Sparx has always (in my time) made it clear that this is a user forum. The fact that there are links to the bug report, feature request and support on every forum page back this separation up.

While the Sparxians can definitely pick up complaints and issues here, submitting them through the 'official' channel saves them having to sift through the rest of the forum discussion, which is broad indeed.

The support form also helps improve quality - and chance of success - through the use of mandatory fields for configuration information. These are easy to use, since they are implemented through drop-downs, and do not require onerous research.

Just adding my 0.02 CAD.

David

[EDIT: And they've made it fairly easy to submit bug reports concerning the beta. There is a link on the beta download page, as there has been for every beta release for quite some time. If you can get the software you can find the bug report form.]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 09:54:16 am by Midnight »
No, you can't have it!

jeshaw2

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 04:20:21 pm »
Oh, all right!  I submitted a bug report.  :-/   We'll see what Beta 3 brings...

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 03:51:04 am »
Thanks Jim,

I get the impression they (Sparx) are trying to push 7.1 out the door. IMHO another beta would be a really good idea. [For example, beta 2 is the first test of the new format of Project Views; it is not compatible with beta 1.]

If we don't get this stuff reported now we might have a few nasty surprises when 7.1 goes to production.

David
No, you can't have it!

danm

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 06:48:34 am »
Using TFS
  • Go to a folder, and configure package control
  • Select an existing model (foo.xml) under source control
  • The software correctly warns you that you are overriding an existing model - do you want to continue? Choose yes
  • Back in the main dialog, click OK
  • Software refuses to continue, saying a file of that name already exists in source control. Right - that's what I wanted!

Please fix in final version, thanks :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 08:17:10 am by danm »

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 08:26:55 am »
Dan,

Did you send in a bug report? See the discussion Jim and I had above.

David
No, you can't have it!

danm

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 09:48:19 am »
Just did David, thanks for the reminder.

jeshaw2

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 10:26:12 am »
Thanks Jim,

I get the impression they (Sparx) are trying to push 7.1 out the door. IMHO another beta would be a really good idea. [For example, beta 2 is the first test of the new format of Project Views; it is not compatible with beta 1.]

If we don't get this stuff reported now we might have a few nasty surprises when 7.1 goes to production.

David

OK,I'm convinced!  With Sparks support (my gosh!  They even support Betas!!), I got a good install of Beta 2.  

Even though I'm designated with "Administrator" privileges on my machine, doing a right-click on the install file and selecting "Run as Administrator" did the trick.  Install was clean.