Author Topic: Are *.eap file compatible between v7.x and v8 ?  (Read 871 times)

pstein

• EA User
    • View Profile
Are *.eap file compatible between v7.x and v8 ?
« on: October 05, 2010, 02:36:15 am »
Assume I create an *.eap file with EA v8

Can I open this *.eap later with another EA installation v7.1 or v7.5?

Or are *.eap not compatible/downgradeable?

Peter

beginner

Re: Are *.eap file compatible between v7.x and v8
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 03:33:38 am »
I'm not 100% but only 99% sure that it's backward compatible. The last incompatibility I remember was due to auditing (when 7.0 was introduced?) but quite a time ago. Just give it a try. Create your model with 8.0 and open it with pre-8.0. Maybe you can do a baseline compare.

b.

Frank Horn

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 06:26:01 am »
Opening a version  7.5 or 8.0 eap file with EA 7.1 could be a problem when you have used the "Link to Element Feature" thing for connectors. You'll probably lose the links (i.e the connector will have the same source and target elements, but no more link to a feature).

With some other new features not supported in earlier versions you might lose data as well. I seem to recall that triggers used to have less properties.

Treatment of RefGUID tagged value types has changed somehow too, and there are incompatibilities with profiles and MDG technologies.

Maybe it's not as dangerous as that (I haven't experimented with downgrades), but you better be careful.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 04:05:42 pm »
I think in most cases you won't loose data, by opening a v8 model in v7.5 or 7.1, but you won't be able to see the additional data like the link to an element feature, or things like the structured scenarios.

This could be different of course if you edit such an element. I'm not sure if it will keep its v8 features when edited in v7.x

Geert