Author Topic: Showing the version of a component in a diagram  (Read 682 times)

Eiberle

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Showing the version of a component in a diagram
« on: September 19, 2011, 07:27:07 pm »
Hi,

I want to create a component diagram showing the main components of a system. This diagram should be used to setup the system, so I have to include the version number of each build block (=component).

Is there a way to add the Version information from the "Properties" page to the component, or must I use note elements and update these notes manually?

Or is there a better way solving my problem?

EA version: 9.1 Build 909.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Showing the version of a component in a diagra
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:57:32 pm »
If you right click on the link between the note and the element you can link the note with an element feature.
Version is not listed there, but there are a couple of other options that might be suitable for your purpose.

Geert

OpenIT Solutions

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 09:25:55 pm »
An alternative, would be to view the version no as an attribute of the component and add it to the components attribute list..you can then check the show attributes flag on the diagram properties...not quite what you asked (as you would have to retype the version from the general properties tab of the component - but an alternative)...

Eiberle

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:51:05 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions.

I was also thinking about using an attribute for the version number, but in this case, the version attribute will show up in other reports. I think I will go with a custom tagged value 'Version' and manage the version completely there.

Do you know where the version information of an element will be used inside EA?

The tagged values can be displayed in the component diagram by activating the 'Show Tags' options in the diagram properties (Elements tab). This will give me the freedom to show more than one tagged value (e.g. showing the person who is responsible for the component). So I can add some more meta information to the element.

I didn't know the linking feature, so thanks for showing me this option. I am sure this will be helpful in other scenarios.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 05:19:33 pm »
I don't think the version information is actually used that much in EA.
I'm sure it will show up in some RTF reports, but other then that...

Geert