Author Topic: Red letter "A" in package diagram  (Read 8455 times)

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Red letter "A" in package diagram
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 12:49:50 am »
The Mickeysoft help is almost a PITA. But that web interface is more than that. Good job if you consider "replace bad by worse" to be that.

q.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 12:50:27 am by qwerty »

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 07:51:52 am »
However, I have now used the index of the built-in application help function and can find the answer, as pointed out by AndyJ.  The morale of this story would appear to use the application help, which is a pain because the same contents could be available on the website and I wouldn't need to occupy a floating license just to educate myself.

Part of the problem is every EA version's of help seems to be on the website and the only reliable way to put bounds on your search is to search through the application.

I've worked on enough horrible CMS projects that I sympathise with Sparx.

I do think that the help should move to a wiki with trusted community members given access to help finesse the pages.

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 08:25:37 am »
Part of the problem is every EA version's of help seems to be on the website and the only reliable way to put bounds on your search is to search through the application.

Yep. I've just tried searching for the red things in 12.1 and I just can't find it in the help, via any method.

I must have missed an option to install the help locally.

So far, none of my efforts at RegEx etc. has assisted in searching the online help either.

For example, searching for " red " (spaces either side in case that's not visible) still returns every word containing red.

The search utility is stripping everything out of the search query.

>:(

I can see that I'm going to spend a lot more of my time explaining things to users.

May I second the suggestion of a user maintained help wiki?

Andy
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 10:32:17 am »
Yes, the web search seems to ignore spaces. Just as when you enter two or more words and it searches for each word separately rather than in combination.

If you are in EA, select the Help > Search Help menu option and type (for example) ' red triangle'. That searches the entire Help and produces two hits on 'red triangle'.

Searching on ' red ' (with the space before and after) produces a list of hits on all red objects - triangles, exclamation marks, borders, crosses, circles and icons. The red letter A is now referred to as an 'A symbol', so you would need to search for that text to find it.
Best Regards, Roy

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 10:38:34 am »
Sorry Roy, in 12.1 it really doesn't.

I searched for 'red triangle' in the application, and it flicked to a web search:

Search Results
Your search for 'red, triangle' found the following documents (of 2574 documents searched):
Displaying documents 1-6 of 6, with best matches first:

No mention of red triangle in the return.

Andy
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 06:12:13 am »
I tried this and, because triangle is such a unique word, at least in terms of EA documentation, it is there (results 3 and 4), but a search for "red letter a" or "red delta" (it is a delta symbol after all) doesn't make the cut.
I think the online search still needs work, the first action of which should be to, IMHO, by default search by token when only a single word is entered into the search.
(note that searching for "red triangle" including double quotes works quite well, but searching for 'red triangle' including single quotes sucks (that's such a technical term)).
Orthogonality rules
Using EA14.0 (1422) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 09:21:26 am »
Whatever else the search does or doesn't do, it can't find a text string that doesn't exist in the Help. I have edited the text on those two instances of 'red triangle' to include '(or red Delta symbol)', because I think that is what the original poster was searching for. 

We used to refer to a red letter A, but I don't think that was technically correct.
Best Regards, Roy

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 09:35:07 am »
Now for "red triangle" it appears at position three. Being picky I might ask: why not at first place? The first two matches highlight only "red" while #3 has both :-\

"red letter a": no avail.

q.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:37:37 am by qwerty »