Author Topic: Breaking long element names  (Read 8044 times)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking long element names
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 05:51:01 pm »
Simon, I didn't say it was easy...   ;D

However, it's got me thinking.  Why not allow a special tagged value that defines the breaks (using, for example, ZWS - but I think it would be better if the break was visible.  If the TV was present, EA could use that for the name.

We already have multiple name Tagged Values which can be selected with User Selected Diagram Properties.  I should try the ZWS with those.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking long element names
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2017, 07:29:06 am »
You want us to re-invent a unicode character entry system that should exist as part of your OS?

And document the unicode standard within our user guide?
What I had I mind was:

Providing documentation in the EA user guide that indicated how a user could suggest to EA where to break long tokens (cf breaking hyphens), and maybe explain how EA does it algorithmically now.

Providing extra assistance to users by way of the UI so that:
  • users could easily create or remove a 'break suggestion'
  • users could easily see where the suggested break might be, e.g. ⏎"⏎"
  • the break suggestion would not impact searches, or use of names in other contexts, e.g. code generation (i.e. the break would not be part of the token)
Orthogonality rules
Using EA14.0 (1422) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0