Author Topic: Smart alignment?  (Read 4012 times)

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
Re: Smart alignment?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 03:48:44 pm »
Simon, I regularly use the Align functions etc.

However, I've just spent half an hour trying to get "Smart Placement" to do something, with and without "Snap to Grid" enabled, and I haven't been able to catch it doing anything at all.

I think it may need a bit more support in the help text (if it is functioning).

Andy
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 03:59:10 pm »
Andy,

To see what it does, start by turning both that and the standard grid off.

Now move an element around the diagram. Notice that all movements are smooth.

Now with just a couple of other elements on the diagram, enable smart placement and move around again. You should notice that it jumps a little near the edges of elements. I'm only seeing it align to the center vertically and the top horizontally, which is less than I thought but in some ways more useful. It also aligns to its old position. Initially that seemed to me, but it allows easy perpendicular movement without holding a key down to restrict it.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 04:18:05 pm »
OK.

I can see it now, but have to say it is very subtle.

:)

It's something like, when you're within 10 pixels of the vertical or horizontal of the next nearest object, jump the last 10 pixels (to make the object line up vertically, or horizontally).

Now I've seen it, I'm going to try and use it regularly.

Thanks Simon.

Andy
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 01:00:18 pm »
Well, that's not exactly what Visio offers. For example when you resize element Visio can show when this width is same as other element's. Or when you resize it can snap to same side position of neighbor element.

Other thing what I miss is guide lines. That would be great thing.
But, as was already mentioned EA isn't a Visio and will never get there :-)

Actually I find that in most ways I prefer the EA paradigm for aligning shapes, resizing them, moving them, etc over Visio.
Note that in v12 you can add align vertical and align horizontal commands to the menu (they are not shown by default and don't have icons).
In v13 they work extremely well from the menu.
In both versions the "size" of the element (in pixels???) is shown on the status bay and using keyboard resizing change the size to suit.

If there was anything that could be done better it would be to have the status bar update when multiple entries are selected and resized (especially when they are all the same size).

Orthogonality rules
Using EA14.0 (1422) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0