Author Topic: Accessing an <ea_model>.fdb file through EA Firebird ODBC  (Read 536 times)

ferenc.szabo.hu

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Accessing an <ea_model>.fdb file through EA Firebird ODBC
« on: January 04, 2018, 04:43:54 pm »
Could somebody help me in the topic mentioned in the subject.

I would like to make reports from the model outside the EA Client.

I successfully connected to fdb files under the \\<host>\Service\Models directory.
Auth. data: SYSDBA : masterkey

Trying queries in MS Access 2016, I can connect the tables, but the records appears as deleted.
Defining a pass through query using the same ODBC connection can get back correct data from tables.

Trying connect through isql_embed I can connect to the database and can run queries to get back data.

Q1: Did you tried any time this with MS Access?
Q2: What is the right configuration of the EA Firebird ODBC connection in this scenario?
Q3: Is this a good idea to access the fdb file under the Cloud Services on reporting purposes or should we transfer the model to an MS SQL DB?

Thank you for your answer.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Accessing an <ea_model>.fdb file through EA Firebird ODBC
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 06:15:42 pm »
I'm a bit confused.
Why would you want to use MS Access to run queries on a firebird database?

Geert

wmather

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Accessing an <ea_model>.fdb file through EA Firebird ODBC
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 11:56:34 am »
To follow on from Geerts response, I just want to ensure you are indeed trying to query an EAP file outside of Enterprise Architect?

If this correct then an EAP file is actually a MDB file in Access97 format. You will not be able to open this in later versions of access until the underlying database is upgraded to an Access 2000 MDB file structure. Also note, that updating the database will now make it unusable to Enterprise Architect.

However, you can query this database directly from within EA ( version 13.5 used here)

• Start EA and open your model
  • CTRL+F to bring the find dialog up
  • Click the magnifying glass and give the search a name
  • Click Query Builder and you now have the SQL Scratch pad available
  • Query should be select * from t_object, remove t_object and type t then use CTRL+SPACE this shows all the tables

Hope this helps if this is what you are after, if it's not, please expand on what you are trying to achieve.