Author Topic: Showing dependencies between packages  (Read 1438 times)

befo

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Showing dependencies between packages
« on: August 07, 2003, 01:19:27 am »
I'm doing an evalutation of EA for a client. One of the things that we are looking for is a possibility to have a hierarchic model. We were planning to do this by having packages contained in packages in several levels. While doing this I ran into problems when I want to define dependencies between classes that reside in different packages. I just can't find a way to do this. Anyone who can help me?
Also, is there a possibility to, automatically, view these relations as relations between packages on higher level diagrams? This would be a great help when showing the model to different stakeholders.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 01:32:36 am by befo »

befo

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Showing dependencies between packages
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 01:35:22 am »
I just found the possibility to create the class-class dependencies. Turned out I had auto-instantiate turned on, so I always got objects. Once I turned that off, my problem disappeared.
However, the latter part of my question remains. I now have a relation between two classes in two different packages. In the logical diagram where I show the packages they don't have a relation. Is there a way to get this relation shown automatically?

huddie

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Showing dependencies between packages
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 02:37:59 am »
Hi,

I show dependencies between the packages by creating a seperate diagram in the higherlevel package (the package containing the packages...)

Then I drag the packages from the browserview onto the diagram and model the dependencies using stereotypes like realise or implements.

When classes contained in these packages have a relation you won't see it on this diagram, but if you'd drag classes onto the diagram that have a relation it will automatically appear.

If you want to keep track of dependencies I'd advice you to study the matrix view (Project/Relationship Matrix in the menu)

As to your evaluation; we just switched from System Architect to Enterpris Architect and are very happy with the functionality, the support and the prise of the product. It has increased productivity enormously!

Regards, Huddie
The truth is there's no such thing as the truth.