Author Topic: view stereotype in diagram  (Read 469 times)

Ohad Young

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
view stereotype in diagram
« on: May 14, 2006, 01:14:50 am »
Hi,

Using the EA case tool, I have placed several actors in a class diagram of a certain domain model. Each actor was assigned with a stereotype but there is no indicaiton for the actor's stereotype in the diagram itself only in the project view browser.

How can the actor's stereotype be visible in the diagram too?

Thanks, Ohad

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
Re: view stereotype in diagram
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 05:41:44 am »
To the best of my knowledge you are out of luck Ohad. It seems that you can only display the stereotype of an actor if you use the rectangle notation. UML does provide this as one of the alternate ways of showing an actor. However it might not be to your liking.

I often use the rectangle notation for secondary actors - this is not my idea, but I've seen it in enough places that I don't remember which was first.

I've also seen someplace a set of ways you can show an actor with a stereotype. Of these a couple were 'preferred.' I don't remember for sure, but I think the stereotyped rectangle was one of the preferred notations and the 'stick man' without a stereotype was another (i.e. the 'stick man' with the stereotype shown was not preferred). The problem is that I cannot remember if the source was 'official').

EDIT:
Here's a thought: perhaps you could create a shape script for your stereotype. This would be a decoration, which would appear below the main shape - assuming I'm correct that you can place decorations below, above, left and right in addition to the corners. This script would only write out the name of the stereotype. Shape scripts are not yet fully documented, but with some dedicated searching in this forum you will find much of what you need. Also check the EA user group and wiki.

This will not work; decorations have a canvas size of 16x16 pixils. Sigh...
END EDIT

HTH, although I know it is not the answer you hoped for,
David
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 05:45:06 am by Midnight »
No, you can't have it!

thomaskilian

Re: view stereotype in diagram
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 11:16:02 am »
Rectangle notation is the only way out. This has been discussed in this forum recently - just try to search for it (with an answer from Sparx).