Author Topic: UML book recommendations?  (Read 6931 times)

kayani

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: UML book recommendations?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2007, 10:37:40 am »
well, if you are still looking, try Object Oriented Design & Patterns by Cay Horstmann, 2nd Ed. from Wiley. It's a good elementary level book in reference to the UML, includes heaps of Java examples.

Hans

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 02:56:18 pm »
I just got "Use Case Driven Object Modeling with UML — Theory and Practice" by David Rosenberg & Matt Stephens.

I think it's pretty good for first-timer.

Now, I'm not a first-timer and am using EA for quite some years by now. But that book, I guess is the "big hit"!
As I was short on my wisdooooom on robustness diagrams, I ordered it lately (due to a hint from this forum), and though for me, the robustness diagram is not the holy grale, this book is about what you do with EA. So: go for it: it pays!

Hans

shaima

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 07:25:54 pm »
UML DISTILLED is a perfect book to start with. After that if you want to be a guru, read OMG UML2 user guide.
I see that about 70% of the books that use UML have mistakes. The only way you will be able to distinguish what's correct versus what's incorrect in these books is to read the OMG UML guide.
Shaimaa Elk
Senior Software Developer

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007, 07:29:53 pm »
UML DISTILLED is a perfect book to start with. After that if you want to be a guru, read OMG UML2 user guide.
I see that about 70% of the books that use UML have mistakes. The only way you will be able to distinguish what's correct versus what's incorrect in these books is to read the OMG UML guide.
Hi Shaima,

I agree about the mistakes...  Can you post a link to the User Guide - because even within OMG there are sometimes competing versions...

Paolo
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 07:30:35 pm by PaoloFCantoni »
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

shaima

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2007, 10:26:36 am »
http://www.omg.org/docs/formal/05-07-04.pdf

I recommend startig with a simple book to have the appetite for the above 710 pages guide

Enjoy!
Shaimaa Elk

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2007, 02:31:35 pm »
http://www.omg.org/docs/formal/05-07-04.pdf

I recommend startig with a simple book to have the appetite for the above 710 pages guide

Enjoy!
Hi Shaima,

The reference you quote isn't actually a "guide" but the normative specification.  On this forum, we generally use the latest of:

[Edit][size=13]UML 2.1.1 Superstructure (formal)[/size] Specification[/Edit][/color]
[size=13]UML 2.1 Superstructure (interim)[/size] Specification
[size=13]UML 2.0 Superstructure (formal)[/size] Specification
[size=13]UML 2.0 Superstructure (interim)[/size] Specification

If you are quoting from one of the previous ones (such as you are, you specify it explicitly.

It's just saves a lot of talking at cross purposes (if we're talking from different versions of the specification).

HTH,
Paolo
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 09:25:41 am by PaoloFCantoni »
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

shaima

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2007, 06:48:20 pm »
super, I didn't even have the link to the latest doc.
yeah I basically meant the super structure, you guys are the gurus so you know that. I tried to use an easier word for those who are not familiar with OMG docs.
Shaimaa Elk