Author Topic: Edges in activity diagrams  (Read 1159 times)

metamorphium

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Edges in activity diagrams
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:16:47 pm »
Hello again,

Could any kind sould please direct me how to do edge connectors for activity diagrams? I have a huge diagram which spans a few pages and I need to do the edge connectors for the printed version.

It usually looks as a circle with paired identificator inside. In help under edge connectors is only Exception handling (bug?) and I haven't found any corresponding symbol in the palette.

Thanks!

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Edges in activity diagrams
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:42:17 pm »
Hmm, I don't know Edge connectors, where in UML do you find that element?

Geert

beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:45:06 pm »
In Visio and Powerdot.

b.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 08:46:56 pm »
Oh, that kind of UML ::)

Geert

metamorphium

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 09:33:23 pm »
Oh, that kind of UML ::)

Geert

I have no clue about VISIO. I know about these from books "Uml demystified" by Paul Kimmel and several online resources. I am by no means UML 2 expert / purist and the idea of such edge connectors sounds very reasonable to me so I thought it was codified in UML 2.

Edit: if you could please recommend me some good books (which are from your point of view good reference, I'd gladly buy these. I have three books so far and they seem to contradict each other in certain points, not mentining online resources :) I am using UML2 mainly for software modelling so Use Cases, Activity diagrams, Class modelling and such seem to be my main focus.)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:41:54 pm by metamorphium »

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 09:53:27 pm »
I'm sorry if you feel offended. That was certainly not my intention.

In UML in general there is no notion of things like pages. In fact UML hardly says anything about diagrams at all, so I don't think such a connector would be defined in UML.

In general the best practice is that if your diagram can't be printed on an A4/letter size page then there's too much on it and you should consider splitting it up into several diagrams.

I don't know about books, I usually use the UML superstructure as a reference.

Geert

beginner

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 10:11:58 pm »
For Use Cases I recommend Bittner et al. For UML(2) there are quite a good number of "... for dummies" books. Also I can recommend ICONIX for a good start since they focus on "what you need" and not "what is possible".

b.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 10:48:26 am »
Hello again,

Could any kind sould please direct me how to do edge connectors for activity diagrams? I have a huge diagram which spans a few pages and I need to do the edge connectors for the printed version.

It usually looks as a circle with paired identificator inside. In help under edge connectors is only Exception handling (bug?) and I haven't found any corresponding symbol in the palette.

Thanks!
EA does (sort of) provide a mechanism for this.  Look up "Suppress Line Segments" in the Help.

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

metamorphium

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 04:50:49 pm »
Thank you all for your advices. I am not offended at all. I am simply trying to orient myself in the world of UML diagrams, because before I mainly used text (especially for use cases) and my own weird flowcharts which are surprisingly similar to activity diagrams.

My recent position requires me to focus more on documenting than on the real software development so I wanted to gain some skills in some widely accepted standard way.

Thanks again!  
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 04:51:21 pm by metamorphium »

metamorphium

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 04:56:35 pm »
EA does (sort of) provide a mechanism for this.  Look up "Suppress Line Segments" in the Help.

HTH,
Paolo

Thank you, this is perfect for my uses.

fwoolz

• EA User
  • We have met the enemy, and he is us.<Pogo, 1970>
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 07:28:39 am »
@Paolo (and metamorphium),

Brilliant! I have often bemoaned the lack of "off-page" connectors in EA only to discover, thanks to you, that they've been there all the time (well, at least for a while now). Previously I had used merge nodes with the same label (and a hidden connector between them) to do off-page continuations. "Suppress line segment" does precisely what I was looking for as well!

Fred
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:32:20 am by fwoolz »
Fred Woolsey
Interfleet Technology Inc.

Always be ready to laugh at yourself; that way, you beat everyone else to the punch.